Forums Latest Members

please assist me in valuation: 1970s Seamaster De Ville "Tiffany & Co."

1. johnny action Apr 29, 2014

Hello, thanks for the opportunity to ask a few questions.

I inherited this watch from my dad, who got it in the early 70s, I think.
    I don't ever wear it, although it seems to keep great time when I "wind" it up to check it. Loses about five-ten seconds a day or so. The day/date functions work well too. The omega symbol is embossed on the crown. The back of the case bears no engravings or stamps.

I'm thinking of selling it, since I don't really fancy it nor does my 11 year-old son (but what do 11 year old kids know anyway....).

A few days ago I took it to a jeweler in downtown Honolulu and asked him to open it up and tell me what he thought of the condition, and whether it needed cleaning, adjustments, etc. He called me three days later to say that he thought the watch was fine, kept great time, and really needed nothing done. He didn't charge me. And he gave me the following information, which he found on the watch interior: C6865 841317. Neither one of those numbers looks like a serial number to me, and I forgot to ask him to look for a SN which is apparently stamped on the inside of the mechanism. Now I'll probably need to go back and have him re-open and find the SN.

He also tested the case (I watched him do this) by gently rubbing the watch on a small grey bar (looked like soapstone to me) and then applying drops of liquid to the "smudge" of gold left behind on the bar. He concluded that it was "solid" 14 k gold, (he said "it's definitely not gold-plated; it's solid"). The watch indeed has "14k gold" stamped in minuscule font on the bottom edge of the case between the bottom lugs - I would never have seen this had he not pointed it out to me, but it's clearly evident if one looks very closely (easier to see under magnification).

The watchband in these photos is not the original - it's a cheap crocodile imitation that looks OK but the seams are falling apart, and so I'd sell the watch without it. No box or other papers or certificates. And the watch has clearly been worn. There are faint scuffs and scratches throughout, but no deep gouges or cracks. It would probably look at lot better if I had it professionally cleaned and polished...

So, my question (finally) is - what's this watch worth in this day and age? What would be a reasonable starting offer? I've seen widely varying prices (mainly on watchuseek and on eBay), from the $400-$500 range all the way up to $1.5 - $2k. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg new face.jpg

2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 29, 2014

If it's a solid 14k case with a cal. 1020 then it's worth anywhere from $900 to maybe like $1200/$1400.

you'd need to post higher def - better clarity pictures if you want a more exact price.

I've attached a picture of what an unpolished lug looks like for the identical watch. The second picture is your watch. Regardless, it's a pretty watch which I would consider a family heirloom.

if you can afford to keep it, I would.

I would never sell a personal affect like a watch or ring which belonged to my father.

Based on general condition, he must have liked and treasured it because it's been worn a lot (worn enough that a replacement strap is in well worn condition).

image.jpg image.jpg
    John R Smith likes this.
  3. johnny action Apr 30, 2014

Thank you for the advice and comments.
    I will need to borrow a macro lens to obtain better close-up photos of the watch.
    I appreciate your opinions about family heirlooms, but please realize that not all families are the same, and that some things from one's past are best forgotten or, at he very least, allowed to fade from memory.
    Thanks again.