Forums Latest Members

Pleading for your assistance of knowledge

1. FrankR May 9, 2015

Hello all,

first, let me apologize if this post is in the wrong section (this seemed right), and for that I know this question has very likely been asked a million times.

I'm a little anxious about what should have been my most exciting watch purchase of all. Last week I fulfilled my dream of purchasing a caliber 3570.50 Omega Speedmaster Professional. While I fully understand the advantage of buying any such timepiece from an AD with the original warranty, I went ahead (previous good experience with gray market) and purchase it from Jomashop, after extensive research on them. Again, I'm fully aware of the disadvantage, but am absolutely sure it to be authentic. Please don't get me wrong, I'm still quite excited; however, I've not been able to find any answer online that makes me feel better about the following.

The serial number of the watch would place the manufacture some time in the late 2000', so I know it's been sitting unwound for some time. While Jomashop did a great job packaging it, I know that going through the air carrier's parcel system knocked it about a bit.

The watch is consistently running approximately 60 seconds fast in 24 hours. I realize they are not COSC certified, my understanding is however that Omega advertises +/-10 seconds.

In some forums I have found mostly better results of +/-5 seconds. I also understand the importance of winding it at approximately the same time every day, and the difference of overnight position may make. I read that a tune up, or regulation may fix this problem, as well as, a break in phase. Most of the successful regulation were however for a much less gain or loss.

So my questions are, if someone would please be so kind to help me out...

Could a tune up or regulation really fix that much of a gain?
    Should I have Jomashop do the regulation on their warranty, will they, and does anyone have experience with them on this?
    Can my local Omega boutique (flagship type with technician) perform this in house, without sending it in, and how much would it cost?
    Are there similar experiences of that much gain or loss?
    Any other thoughts or wisdoms you could provide in this?

Again, I hope I'm not offending anyone here posting about a GM Omega purchase, but with other positive previous experience, and a middle class professional income, this was the most cost effective route for me.

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can provide in this!

Gratefully,
    Frank

2. ulackfocus May 9, 2015

How much would it have been extra to buy it from an authorized dealer and not grey market?

Which leads to the second question: wouldn't that have been worth your sanity?

I bought one watch over $200 via the grey market. I'll never do it again. Sometimes the lowest price is NOT the best deal.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 9, 2015

60 seconds a day is a lot. If the watch really is 15yrs old, it probably needs a full service, not just a regulation. I realise it has not been used in that time, but the oils will still have dried out. I would assume that wouldn't be covered under joma's warranty. Take it to a good independent watchmaker and they can do the service and regulating.

VetPsychWars likes this.
  4. redpcar May 9, 2015

I can't speak to Jomashop but if the watch has not been serviced in 15yrs, a clean, oil, adjust would certainly fix the problem. Indeed, please contact the seller and express your issue.

VetPsychWars likes this.
  5. Shem May 10, 2015

Omega's tolerance for the 3570.50 is -1 to +11, so +60 in a day is quite fast. If you have a flagship Omega Boutique near you, you can at least take it in for a 6-point inspection wherein they will evaluate the timing and amplitude on a timing machine and regulate it if necessary free of charge (they'll also check water resistance and degauss it if magnetized). If the amplitude is too low such that the watch requires service, they will tell you so as well. Now, amplitude is not the only measure of whether a watch needs service, but it's at least something the Boutique Technician can check for you, and if it's too low, then it definitely will require service.

I don't know how good Jomashop's warranty service is, if service is indeed required. If it's only regulation, I would just let the technician at the Boutique do it. If it needs a full service, then you'll have to evaluate for yourself whether you trust Jomashop to do this under warranty or use another watchmaker.

6. FrankR May 10, 2015

Thank you!

7. FrankR May 10, 2015

Please, just to clarify, this is in fact something that can be fixed? In other words, there is no need to fight with Jomashop for an exchange, since I overzealously removed the 30 day warranty band required for returns and exchanges?

Also, I have been running the chronograph timed to the second hand the past few days, and it is consistently 50+ seconds a day fast in sync. My understanding is that as long as the varience is consistent, it can be regulated?

Thanks so much for your time in responding to my question; I feel much better already!

I feel a bit silly, having collected watches in general for some time, and will apply my lesson learned in the future.

8. chickenman26 May 10, 2015

Act in haste, repent at leisure...BTDT. So now you'll just have to let them repair the watch. Yes, it can be fixed. Whether or not they're the guys who can fix it is a different matter, but you have no choice if you want it repaired for no charge.

9. FrankR May 11, 2015

Thanks all, I do appreciate it!

10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 11, 2015

I wouldn't bother trusting them, I would get a proper service from either Omega or a highly qualified watchmaker.

Tom

11. Tuchka May 12, 2015

I bought mine from authorized seller, and the watch running 11 seconds fast every day, plus the second clasp (the divers clasp) does not open at all.
    So, IMHO, buying from the right seller is not always great.