Forums Latest Members

Playing amateur watch designer: Rebooting TAG Heuer's Carrera CH80

1. Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 9, 2014

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to be in Basel a couple of weeks ago when TH launched the new Carrera. They hinted that there would be a few changes between the prototype and the final model, so I thought I'd have a crack at making "my" perfect Carrera CH80. More details and a Blue-dial model at the link below:

http://timeandtidewatches.com/timetide-reboots-tag-heuer-carrera-calibre-ch80/

[​IMG]

Overall, I'd buy the design on the right- but I acknowledge that it is maybe too conservative?

Cheers

dc

2. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2014

I like the one on the left - the little extra red makes it pop. However, I want a Big Date at 12 and a case size no larger than 39 mm.

3. Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 9, 2014

Agree on case size...but not a fan of big dates. I never both setting the date on my watch, so its a function that I'd probably delete altogether!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2014

I agree on the red needing to be toned down a little, the case design and its simplicity really is what makes the classic Carrera, it works well when its subtle.

5. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2014

The Carrera Twin Time came in a 38-ish mm case with that style. Why can't they get a hand cranker 2 or 3 register caliber to put in that case?

6. Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 10, 2014

What they tell me is that if you want 100m water resistance and a sapphire caseback, then its challenging to make the case thinner (without going to major expense). Of course, my response is that they should either go with a steel case back, or go down to 50m water resistance if that was the price to pay for a thinner case...