Forums Latest Members
  1. pongster Jul 20, 2017

i want to add a platinum watch to my collection.

I also want to add a Daytona to my collection.

Does it make sense to get a platona?

The ice blue dial does sing to me. The brown bezel does not sing to me as much.

Have not seen one in the metal though.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 20, 2017

Gorgeous but is it a $35-45k watch pre owned?

I've worn it twice and it's sublime in the ice blue with brown ceramic dial.

My only issue was the bracelet links felt sharp...

watch3s likes this.
  3. pongster Jul 20, 2017

Thanks.
    Not sure about pre owned price. I can get it new in our local AD for about USD50K.

Sharp - meaning, can potentially cut your skin?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2017

I've seen one in the metal, it looks pretty epic just not quite $40,000 more than my steel one epic.

The other point they don't mention and that you can't learn in store, is that the PT950 is the worst scratch magnet of all, so while the stainless Daytona picks them up easily, and the 18K gold versions are far worse than the steel, the platinum is even softer than 18K due to its purity and the PCLs get ruined extremely quickly and easily leaving the watch looking quite beat up and crummy.

The entire bracelet looked matte with swirls everywhere and it was only 18 months old in the hands of a businessman not a coal miner.

tyrantlizardrex and watch3s like this.
  5. sensui Jul 20, 2017

Look @ one in the metal.....blew me away....but did not seal the deal. Then one of my buddies that's also a seller had one on with a similar wrist size, gave it to me for a spin.....I was hooked. The balance and heft with that beautiful dial+brown bezel insert/subdials is just killer. There's a reason why it's the ultimate modern piece. It's my next in line on the modern side. I think it's completely worth it, just buy right and you'll be fine with value retention.

P.S. Laying it on top of your wrist unsized versus actually having the thing on sized is a different world. It really is a hefty yet good feeling watch.

watch3s likes this.
  6. watch3s Jul 21, 2017

hmmm some might say zenith steel daytona and save the platinum for a different piece

marco likes this.
  7. sjg22 Jul 21, 2017

+1 on Zenith steel and I'd get a dress watch in platinum on a strap due to case softness. Less likely to be worn in places that may rough up the case and no strap to get overly desk-doven.

8. sensui Jul 21, 2017

I was on the zenith hype train for maybe a week...then the more I looked the more the 116520/116500 I own sings to me. So back to hunting my grail four digit Daytona instead. There's something about that platona though...so so good. The day date platinum is great but I went with the white gold/olive dial option instead there...the green dial won out there for me.

watch3s likes this.
  9. pongster Apr 27, 2018

I went with the white gold daytona to satisfy my daytona craving and with a Grand Lange to satisfy my platinum craving. But it’s on leather.

And something about having a platinum bracelet sings to me still. So i dunno if i should still chase a platona. Or maybe the platinum speedmaster announced in basel.

10. rominvicta May 24, 2018

Amazing watch especially baguette dial! Myself already fell in trap. You won’t regret it.