Forums Latest Members
  1. AveConscientia Aug 11, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I am currently saving up for a Omega after the advice I got from my first post I think I have decided my goal first Omega is something like one of these late 50s early 60s black dial calendar Seamaster De Ville stainless. For someone as young as me is it a realistic goal? Also info on what models these are and maybe thoughts on them. Thank you-Orion

2. Edward53 Aug 11, 2016

This one is a bad redial - very clumsily painted round the Omega symbol and the hands.

You will have a long wait for a real one to come up, and will you even know it when you see it? And if a good one comes onto ebay and you manage to identify it correctly, you will then have to fight all the other collectors for it and it certainly won't be cheap. So I do not think this is a realistic goal for a first watch. A good stainless Seamaster or De Ville is much more achievable.

3. AveConscientia Aug 11, 2016

I do have watches at the moment just trying to find out if these are a good option.

4. Edward53 Aug 11, 2016

Sorry - I should have said "your first Omega".

5. AveConscientia Aug 12, 2016

so what do you think is more suitable?

6. Ravineman Aug 12, 2016

if the price was $ 400 - $ 500 I would buy that watch in a second, poor redial and all.
    Its very nice for anyone BUT not a serious, well informed collector.

7. AveConscientia Aug 12, 2016

You think?

8. Ravineman Aug 12, 2016

Yes. It would be my 4th Omega and Second Seamaster. And one of my Seamaster's has a redial too !

9. lillatroll Aug 12, 2016

If you like it and understand that it has little value for many collectors then it might be worth considering. I think you have to decide what you like and what is more important, owning a vintage watch for the sake of owning a vintage watch or owning a correct vintage watch. Unless a watch is very rare settling for a poor example is going to leave most collectors feeling disappointed, not everyone, but many. you can find better examples of similar watches,maybe not black dial ones, so just keep looking and try to be patient.

AveConscientia likes this.
  10. Ravineman Aug 12, 2016

You are correct, but not everyone is a watch collector

11. Edward53 Aug 13, 2016

That's very true and what OP will like depends on his personality. As a collector I find I want to learn as much as I can about a watch and have the best possible example. If I buy a watch I liked at first and then find it has imperfections, that makes me want to upgrade it and I sometimes end up being unhappy with the original purchase. OP is not me, and for all I know he may be much more relaxed about his watch and happy to enjoy it without feeling the need to explore all the detail. I can only make suggestions based on what I like and point out things that spoil (or make) a watch for a collector.

12. AveConscientia Aug 13, 2016

L
    I don't want a fake but I don't mind if there is marks on the crystal or a new strap and if it is a redial it better be a good one and the movement must be the original

13. Ravineman Aug 13, 2016

Then obviously this is NOT a watch for you ! Be patient and listen to the guys here. There are many here who will help make sure you get what you want. Best of luck with your first Omega !

14. AveConscientia Aug 14, 2016

Alright I will be more careful