Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean vs. Submariner

1. AShort Jan 15, 2016

There might be some bias in this thread because it is the Omega forum after all, but what is the difference between the Submariner and the Planet Ocean? I heard that the Sub has a better movement.

2. lhawli Feb 4, 2016

I own both SubC and PO46 2500D and my opinion is that the SubC is equivalent to the 300MC. They omega is the prettier watch, the rolex is more recognized. As far as movement is concerned, i would say Co-Axial 2500D and 8500 trumps the Sub - not to forget to mention anti-magnetic 15000 gauss :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 4, 2016

A great way to look at it is Rolex is more traditional, and Omega pushes the boundaries. Quality wise they are about the same, Omega has the more interesting movements (in terms of technology and features,) and Rolex has the slight edge in case materials. As far as which movement is better... Most people will give the edge to the newer Omega Co-Axial movements, they tend to be slightly more accurate under normal conditions.

Rolex is more expensive, has more recognition in the US and the black sub is a watch that can be worn with anything (although formal/tux is arguable a bit passe at this point) Rolex has been increasing price year after year so vintage subs keep rising and they tend to be OK investments.

Omega has the more interesting movement and has an anti-magnetic movement (in the newer watches) something that is becoming more and more of an issue with todays tech, the Planet Oceans are too big to even really be considered for formal wear, but are more unique looking. They are also substantially more affordable. As @Lamz said though the other seamasters are more a direct match as they are smaller then the PO, and the PO is closer to the seadweller in direct comparisons of size and features.

I personally roll with an Orange PO Chrono cal 3313, and got it instead of a Rolex as it is not a Rolex, which everyone seems to have. For dress i found the perfect Orient Bambino and restrapped it for less then $250. If you rarely wear a formal watch I highly recommend one of the Bambino family. I also wear a Sieko SKX and rotate straps on it for a knock around watch. All 3 of these can be had for less then a new Sub.

I will admit I still entertain finding a nice vintage black sub though, as the watch is pretty timeless.

4. duc Feb 4, 2016

The subs case is 904 stainless instead of a 300 series used by most other (stainless) model dive watches. They are harder and less prone to scratches. I've only just acquired my first nice watch other than the sub (I've had for 15 years or so). The case on the sub really holds up. I've had a couple of lesser boutique brands (Maratech and WestCoast time). They are way down on the food chain. Strictly as a comparison, they picked up case scratches very early in my ownership.

All that said, they were still acceptable in my view. The point being, I'm not sure the 904 stainless is really all that much. The marketing value may be more important than the actual improvement afforded b the higher grade material. Just my opinion.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 4, 2016

They are made by two different companies in Switzerland that make watches

Search as this comes up way to often.

6. keepschanging Feb 5, 2016

You, sir, win this thread. Great post.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 5, 2016

On WUS it comes up daily...