Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean - How long should it glow?

1. Jyunte Dec 30, 2015

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and a new Seamaster Planet Ocean Professional 600 owner, having bought one for myself for my 50th birthday!

I love this timepiece, and wear it daily. Initially, I wanted the titanium case and band, but I actually found it too light, and found myself wanting the heft of the steel case and band... So that's what I ended up buying.

My issue is, the lume on my PO doesn't glow for very long, probably 2-3 hours, max. If I go to sleep at night, it's barely visible a couple of hours later in near total darkness. I could imagine going diving and not being able to read the dial, or see the index dot at all... Not that I dive very often these days.

If it's exposed to bright sunlight, it glows extremely brightly for maybe 10 minutes, but that brightness disappears rapidly.

How long should my PO glow in the dark?

If I send my PO for a service, is that something that would be covered under warranty?

2. Saysay Dec 30, 2015

.To my knowledge Super-Luminova, depending on certain variables, will only last a few hours. I believe this is across the entire industry unless the timepiece uses Tritium or another agent.

In the end, the amount of light activation your timepiece receives will determine the length of the lume...

3. Jyunte Dec 30, 2015

Ok, that makes sense, I guess. I was wondering if maybe it was worn out already. I think the watch was manufactured in 2011.

4. alam Dec 30, 2015

low battery? :p

2-3 hours of bottom time? uff! that would be one long recreational dive... :rolleyes:

Baz9614 and Jyunte like this.
  5. Jyunte Dec 30, 2015

Should have checked that first of course! :)

Only if holding my breath!

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 30, 2015

Luminova takes time to acquire enough energy to glow for a while. I looked it up once and about 20 minutes of bright light, for example sunlight, is what it takes to charge it fully. Try setting it in a sunny window for a half hour and see how it does for you.

Tom

7. Jyunte Dec 30, 2015

I'll try that, Tom. Thanks.

8. nurseford25 Dec 30, 2015

I dive with mine quite frequently and have never had any issues with visibility. Mine lights up for about the same amount of time as yours, nothing abnormal.

9. Jyunte Dec 30, 2015

Thanks for the info. Sounds like mine is fine, based on what everybody said.

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 31, 2015

It is fine. 2 to 3 hours of bright lume will suffice for diving visibility which Is its function.

My actual favorite lune action is on twilight scenarios though, rather than full darkness, when a faint glow just makes the dial pop

11. OmegaSean Dec 31, 2015

I love the second hand glow on mine I sometimes sit up at night in the dark and just watch the sweep of the second hand ::facepalm1::

OmegaSean

12. jazz ham Jan 1, 2016

FWIW, I owned the Seamster GMT in the year 2000, and then the PO (2500 cal) in 2007 and they both beamed brightly all night. The lume was certainly one of the strong features of those watches. Today, I have the AT (Master) "Captain's" and although the movement is much improved, the lume is passable, but not as good as the other 2.

13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 1, 2016

iirc - if you want really "best in class" lume, you need to go to the inexpensive Seiko watches (which makes sense for a diver anyway) ...

again, iirc they have a super potent lume and sell a watered down version of it to the swiss watch industry .... I guess that's one of the benefits when of a vertically integrated company that develops its own lume/lubricants/steels, etc...

14. OmegaRookie Jan 1, 2016

I take an LED flashlight and shine it on mine for about 45 seconds before bed. It glows very brightly at first but it can be seen all night with ease. I do that with all my watches. It drives my wife nuts..........:)

Paedipod and CanberraOmega like this.
  15. Jyunte Jan 5, 2016

I did that last night... The hands on my PO quite literally lit up the wall and ceiling of! bedroom! Quite impressive. That intense brightness didn't last particularly long however.

PatrickJ likes this.
  16. OmegaRookie Jan 5, 2016

As long as you can see the watch in the dark all night it is normal. It is very bright after the flashlight isn't it!!

Paedipod likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2016

Do you work or live in the dark?

OmegaRookie likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 5, 2016

Do a lot of night work and fishing

image.jpeg

Or then there is the big gun of lume
    image.jpeg

OmegaRookie likes this.
  19. Thegreatroberto Jan 6, 2016

If you want real glow in the dark, get a Tudor Pelagos. Best lume of any watch I have.
    Really does glow all night.
    In fact even when being outside on an overcast UK day, then going back into my office, you can see the green glow. Truly good.
    Most watches will glow brightly after a quick blast with a torch ( or even a camera flashgun), but not that many retain the glow hours after.
    If lume glow is important, check out a Pelagos.

20. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 6, 2016

If all night glow is really crucial, then look at watches that contain tritium tubes e.g. Ball Watches, Nite Watches etc.