Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean GMT Review - Black & White - Review

1. Hands90 Jul 15, 2019

Planet Ocean GMT Review - Black & White

PLANET OCEAN 600M OMEGA CO‑AXIAL MASTER CHRONOMETER GMT 43.5 MM
    [​IMG]

This watch has really made me take a look at my past collection and my current wants/needs as a watch collector. I’ve seen others post online that their search is over for the ‘perfect watch’ and that they are done collecting. I was always jealous whenever I’d read one of those posts.

Now I can finally say I’m one of those people and that the search is over.

I’ve owned other Omegas, Rolex subs (ceramic and pre), Britlings and IWC pilots. Some watches I’ve owned like a pre-ceramic GMT ended up selling for much more than I paid but for me it’s always been a problem to keep a watch. When something catches my eye, I end up buying it and selling off some of my collection to cover the purchase. It’s a vicious endless cycle which I hope is now over.

Let’s get into my thoughts on this watch then I’ll talk about why I bought this model.

Looks

First have to say that this watch has the look I’ve been wanting. It’s flashy and also utilitarian with its design. The hands and indices I believe are white gold. Everytime I look down to check the time the watch shines back. The hands are unlike any I’ve ever seen. They give any other diver I’ve owned a run for its money. The ceramic dial is something I really did not think was all that important to me until I spent a few days with it. Now it’s hard to go back to plain black dials.

The bezel is distinct to say the least. The black & white combo is original from what I can recall. Though it’s a GMT bezel I do use it for timing. The arrow, 12 marker and where it goes from black to white show when 15 minutes have elapsed. Also each number marker on this bezel is basically 5 minutes so just count in 5’s to figure out how much time has passed. I would never use it for diving but for cooking pizza it works just fine.
    [​IMG]

Lume

Another thing for me to be jealous about is the lume. For all my watches I never really thought the lume was all that great on any of my watches. My white Ploprof was amazing because the entire bezel was lumed but for this watch it again really surprises me. Walking in the sun then going into an elevator will produce an almost radioactive glow from my wrist.
    [​IMG]

Wearability

As listed in the other reviews Omega has changed the way the watch sits from the older PO’s. I’m sure others agree that the micro adjustments are a must. Once you’ve had micro adjustments it’s difficult to go back, especially on a diver. The watch wears and to me looks small. It’s not by any means small but it really does feel much smaller than it is.

The clasp is truly a work of art and that being said the button release is the best way to remove a clasp. It snaps with precision when I put the watch on and is quick to take off.
    [​IMG]

Movement

I’m getting about -2.0 or so everyday from wear and when I put it crown up (3 oclock up) it grains roughly +1.8 overnight so I almost have the watch keeping itself on time.

The only real negative is that the date does not fully change until 12. The wheel stays nearly in between the two dates for an hour. Of course because of the way the movement is designed you can not possibly damage the movement by setting a date or time.

Why I bought this model

Victor Vescovo and the Ultra Deep are the main reason for me to take the dive with Omega. I’d been buying Doxa’s looking for that classic dive watch when the story about the Ultra Deep broke. I thought about how amazing it was that Omega is now the record holder. It’s what makes these dive watches so cool. It’s real professionals using them as tools. Victor Vescovo walked into an Omega boutique and bought a PO chrono.

Imagine if Rolex (I made it through the whole review without comparing this watch to a sub) had a Deep Sea available for VIctor the record would still be Rolex’s to keep. If I wanted to accomplish something amazing in the ocean tomorrow and went into an AD for a dive watch, the Rolex AD’s wouldn’t have any divers available. Well, maybe they would if I bought a few Datejusts first.

"The partnership started because I was a customer," say Vescovo, a private equity investor, former naval officer and now undersea explorer. "I wanted a watch to take with me on the dives, and so I bought my Seamaster watch at my local Omega boutique in Dallas. It was only after that we approached the brand about coming on board as a sponsor of the expedition." - tempusmagazine.co.uk

Omega was available and because it was Victor Vescovo bought a PO then later signed a deal with Omega to produce a watch. I wanted the same PO Victor uses. Not the Ultra Deep but the PO chrono. Once I went to see it the GMT caught my eye and then that was it.

For now this is my main watch, my go to. I’m going to be wearing it daily and enjoying it. The occasional shower and maybe even a swim in the pool. I’m always worried about scratches but life is short. I’m going to be careful to take off my watch when I know I’m going to be in tight places but other than that I’m hoping to just enjoy wearing it.

[​IMG]

This watch is not the most expensive watch I’ve owned or the most expensive in terms of street value. My vintage pepsi would be the most valuable watch I’ve owned. This watch is by far the most expensive ‘feeling’ and looking watch I’ve ever owned. I’m sure there are many others that will complain about resale but that’s not why I bought this watch. A lot can change over time, especially when you are a horrible serial flipper like me, but for now this is the best watch I’ve ever owned.

Life is short try to enjoy it.

polly2331, Walrus, vintage38 and 23 others like this.
  2. ReturnOfUltraman Jul 15, 2019

Hope your flipping days slow down so you’re able to hang out with this one for a while. It’s a good looking watch for sure, just too big for me personally. Loved the write-up! :thumbsup:

Hands90 likes this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Jul 15, 2019

Awesome! Congrats on that beautiful GMT!

Now give us some more pictures of the watch without the hipster filter ::bleh::

4. Martin_J_N Jul 16, 2019

Nice watch, congratulations and thanks for the write up.

5. Stufflers Mom Jul 16, 2019

It's a very nice watch, but for my taste it looks a little cold on the bracelet, change it up on the oem black leather\rubber strap and I could be tempted.

Omega-Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-GMT-Master-Chronometer-movement-5.jpg

Kim, Smoothness, clashmoni and 6 others like this.
  6. Hands90 Jul 16, 2019

I'm tempted. Really want the strap but I'll probably end up with an Omega nato when I get bored of the bracelet.

7. JustChris Jul 16, 2019

Welcome to the OREO club

8. fskywalker Jul 16, 2019

Nice model, tried it at my local Omega Boutique but too thick!!!

9. Stufflers Mom Jul 16, 2019

Don't be so hard on yourself.;)

10. Newatch321 Jul 17, 2019

Understand the feeling, saw the watch told myself it will ge to big. Tried it on and once on told my myself this is my next watch. Really enjoy the watch, does not wear big and I have a small wrist. Enjoy your piece.

11. jets Jul 17, 2019

Nice post. What size wrist do you have? I love it, tried it on and thought it may sit a bit too high. Maybe I need to try again!

12. Hands90 Jul 17, 2019

When I owed the Seamaster 300 and I thought it was too high but this one is different. Maybe the more round shape and the way the lugs sit.
    Also I thought the Seamaster 300 could be uncomfortable at times on my 7inch flat wrist.
    Quick shots from just now.
    20190717_185951.jpg 20190717_190007.jpg

jets and Wetworks like this.
  13. dinexus Jul 18, 2019

Every time I see shots of this, I miss mine – just wish I could have gotten it to fit a little more comfortably. Awesome watch without a doubt though, thanks for sharing!

14. Meme-Dweller Jul 18, 2019

Hope this guy isn't a replica maker from China needing a code to copy onto the bracelets

15. Hands90 Jul 18, 2019

The bracelets are not individually labeled are they?

16. Newatch321 Jul 18, 2019

If you have concerns please delete the post, I can tell you I asked an honest question searching for an honest answer. As a owner of the same watch just with the rubber strap. Thanks again.

17. Hands90 Jul 18, 2019

No I'm sure they are not individually stamped and if they are then you have to remove your qoute ;)

18. Meme-Dweller Jul 19, 2019

The ST Is the model number of the bracelet. The stuff below that is not unique to each watch, but varies between watches as it's a production code supposedly tied to the the month and assembly line it was produced

19. Hands90 Jul 19, 2019

Okay thank you.
    Let's delete it anyway.

20. Newatch321 Jul 20, 2019

Just to be clear, my piece.

15636081439684007852866106851782.jpg
    Edited Jul 22, 2019