Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean 8900-half link

1. Texans93 Nov 7, 2019

Picked up the PO less that two weeks ago and I was in between links. I'd add a link and I only had one setting to wear it on, take out a link and the same problem. I was able to source the half link (115ST1589) right away from an OB in Texas and it wears perfectly now, with adjustment options over the course of the day. I can't recommend it enough if you're in between links like I was...just in case anyone else is in the same boat.
    Thanks to Nordwulf for his great review and the part number for the half link...
    FYI-price was $48

PO2.jpg
    Vox Optimatium and fskywalker like this.
  2. ExpiredWatchdog Nov 7, 2019

I had the same problem with my SMPO Chrono, but mine was at the full set with an 8 inch wrist. It comes with a single half link and I was able to source a full link (at $140, ouch) and replaced the half link. I prefer the bracelet tight enough to leave a little mark, but it was constricting before I changed links. Now it's perfect.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 8, 2019

Just FYI that most 1/2 links are not really 1/2 the size of a full link. This allows you to make even more adjustments - for example by removing one full link and adding two 1/2 links, which would be a little more than one full link...

4. AIRBORNE6176 Mar 19, 2020

What is the width of this particular link? The 8900 end link is 21mm, but I can't find the tapered down width near the clasp.

Speaking of which, the clasp on the 8900 is the same as the clasp on the new Diver 300m right? THX!

fskywalker likes this.
  5. ExpiredWatchdog Mar 20, 2020

Keep in mind that I have an SMPO chrono, ref. 232.90.46.51.03.001 so it's really not a valid comparison. To answer your first question, the spare half link measures 20 mm across. But the end link is 22 mm across.

Second question, I have no idea. Sorry.

To answer @Archer, in this case, it really is about half the size of a full link. This played well as I needed the difference between half an full to get a comfortable fit. On my '57 Speedmaster, the "half" link is about 3/4 the size of the full link, resulting in a difference of 1.9 mm. I got a full link to replace the 3/4 link and didn't get enough relief. I'm gonna have to pop for another full link as it has a 3/4 link on the other side as well. Fortunately, the SS link is way less expensive than the Ti one.

fskywalker likes this.
  6. fskywalker May 2, 2020

I think the width of the half link that you would need is 18 MM as the 21 MM bracelet of the 43.5 MM PO (8900) tapers down to 18 MM at the clasp. The 115ST1589 half link mentioned above comes on the 20 MM Planet Ocean 8500 series 42 MM bracelet, which also tapers to 18 MM at the clasp

Vox Optimatium likes this.
  7. AIRBORNE6176 May 2, 2020

AWESOME! Thanks for the reply and great information. Just the info I needed and very much appreciated.

Stay Safe!