Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean 8900 43.5 vs other watches

1. nordwulf Aug 8, 2018

Hello all, I have been a watch enthusiast for a few years now. Started with $100 watches and slowly evolved to watches up to $1200. I am thinking of getting my first luxury watch and always liked Omega because of their designs, technology, brand appeal and their relatively affordable prices.

I really like the current Planet Ocean but am concerned about the height and weight. I have a 43.5mm Oris Aquis which is the same size at 43.5mm.but only about 12mm height and 160g on bracelet. I also have a Christopher Ward C60 which is 43mm, 13mm height and 200g on bracelet. Another similar watch in size and weight is the Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT which is 44mm.

Does anyone have any experience with the PO in this size/weight and any of these watches mentioned above? I am really curious how they compare in wearing them. Does the PO drag you down like a boat anchor all day or don't you notice it anymore after a while? My wrists are about 7.5" and a diameter of 43.5 doesn't bother me.

This would be a big purchase for me so any info you may be able to share will be greatly appreciated.

2. Co-axial Aug 8, 2018

Have you gone to an AD or Omega boutique to try on the diffetent sizes?

duffy-d likes this.
  3. nordwulf Aug 8, 2018

No, I haven't. The closest AD is about 200 miles away and Omega store is 250 miles. And it is one thing to try on a watch at a store for a few minutes but another when wearing all day long.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 8, 2018

If your concerned about size I highly suggest the 42mm 2500 PO. It’s a future classic try for a later one with the d movement.

Don’t worry about weight, you get used to it very quickly.

5. Mtek Aug 8, 2018

Advice is good to have but I’d try one on if you can, only way you can decide. I have one, wrist size slightly larger than yours, and I am very happy with it.

Vox Optimatium likes this.
  6. dinexus Aug 8, 2018

I owned the 43.5mm GMT PO, which remains to this day, one of my favorite watches I've ever owned. Couldn't get past the 18mm thickness though (and ultimately sold it because of its top-heaviness), but I'd argue that the standard 3-hand version isn't too big, even for my 6.5" wrist. I think the 39mm version's dial proportions just look 'off' – the 43.5 is really the sweet spot, and I think it would look fine on your wrist.

[​IMG]

7. tikkathree Aug 8, 2018

I'll do you some photos tomorrow in better light but yes I've got the C60 in 43mm and a Planet Ocean: they do wear differently and I think you should find a way to try on the PO.

8. tikkathree Aug 9, 2018

Nordwulf here you go. Comparative weights and wrist shots PO, CW C60 and just because I'm wearing it today, the Blumo. C60 is obviously a bit lighter for being on leather...
    My wrist is 7.5" and whilst very happy with the PO I would attempt to wear it with shirt cuff and jacket.
    Hope this helps. 20180809_131446.jpg 20180809_131535.jpg 20180809_131510.jpg 20180809_131640.jpg 20180809_131606.jpg 20180809_131623.jpg 20180809_131650.jpg

Doc Savage, sah, The Father and 2 others like this.
  9. steelfish Aug 9, 2018

If it's any help, I have a 6.75" wrist and have (or have had) the old 2500 PO in 42mm, 43.5mm 8900 PO, various SMPs, Rolex subs (currently 116613, formerly 114060), 41mm BB and a 44.25 speedy.

I can honestly say my present daily 43.5mm steel PO on a bracelet is the comfiest I own. Yes it's the heaviest watch, but with the adjustable clasp and nicely weighted bracelet it fits the best, and I prefer the clasp to even the Rolex glidelock. I notice the weight briefly when I rotate the PO in, but the fit more than makes up for it. Fits under my shirt cuffs just fine.

However I would always say that despite the hassle of travelling to an AD, you should try for yourself somehow. Everyone's wrist is different even at the same diameter. And we all have our own levels of OCD on how a watch fits ;-)

10. Neek U-neek. Get it? Aug 9, 2018

0583C30B-97F8-4298-B8F1-B49437AF1BAA.jpeg
    I just received my PO GMT 600M in titanium. It’s definitely chunky and don’t try to wear long sleeves with it. I wear scrubs all day and it’s perfect. My advice and it may not be possible, but if you can swing it in titanium it is most definitely NOT heavy. It’s very comfortable.

11. nordwulf Aug 9, 2018

Thanks so much for the detailed responses and especially tikkathree for taking the effort to take and post all those pictures. That certainly helps in getting an idea on how the PO wears compares to the CW. My CW C60 on bracelet is at 198g so not really that much more than the PO.

Everybody's advice about visiting an AD or boutique and try one on is definitely something I should do as well. On my next travels, there should be an AD or store in a city or airport I come through where I can find some to try on.

I have also had my eye on the current Aqua Terra in 41mm. While not the same style as a PO, the 41mm, lower height and weight will definitely be an advantage over the PO. I don't really like the bracelet with the butterfly clap and no adjustment so that's a big negative.

For comparison, this is the CW C60 on my wrist. I think the PO should wear ok despite the extra weight. The bad part is I may have to sell some watches to fund a PO purchase.

[​IMG]

43.5 Aquis

[​IMG]

Vox Optimatium, Neek and The Father like this.
  12. sat968 Aug 10, 2018

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

I have a watch incoming that I didn't plan for and I'll have to readjust my mix as a result. :(

13. neill1975 Aug 10, 2018

I really like this watch the black dial is stunning IMO its weighty I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what it weighs if someone could help. I don't think its too thick or two big on the wrist.

c2aca5ae-838c-4a1f-af04-e35a5d1645a6.jpg 4eca3139-115f-44e4-a79a-71d01994dfe3.jpg
  14. tikkathree Aug 10, 2018

Aqua Terra, especially with applied indices and teak dial is absolutely delicious and gives you that "under a shirt cuff" justification.

15. sevykor Aug 12, 2018

+1. Many people get put off by the thickness of the newer POs. Makes it difficult to wear under a shirt sleeve cuff. I would hate to buy such an expensive watch and later have resentments. The model 2201.50 (42mm) is a nice option and I would aim for the 2500D movement.

Wivac, Foo2rama and nordwulf like this.
  16. dwedgar2 Aug 13, 2018

Own the 43.5 PO for one year now and could not be happier I have a very smAll wrist and the micro adjust is amazing. Bracelet is the most comfy, by far, of any I have tried. Black ceramic face with double antiglare coating is something of a marvel. Glass back is amazing. 2000 ft water resistance and 15 Gauss antimagnetivity is crazy .

I have been shopping for a rolex date just or daytona or milgause VC or Cartier etc (double the cost of PO) and have been amazed at how they are nowhere near the PO in finishing or features. Have not tried on a patek or AD but I suspect that is where you would have to go ($30k) to beat the PO.

The height is not a problem and fits under a dress sleeve fine. It has great wrist presence . The ONLY issue is the weight. It is a bit on the clunky side but the micro adjust fixes that problem nicely and keeps it snug.

IMO it is far superior to a Rolex Sub or any other diver. One year on the wrist and I am still amazed at this piece.

17. Thrillhouse847 Aug 13, 2018

I've been wearing my new 43.5mm PO daily for a couple of months now and I think people make much too big of a deal about it's size. The short/tapered(beveled?) lugs and relatively large bezel make it wear smaller in real life than pictures might make it seem. That being said, everyone is different and some watches just don't jive with certain people's wrists.

However, I do see how the weight could be an issue for some. It is definitely a heavy watch (at least for me). Once I have it on though, I stop noticing pretty quickly and don't generally notice it again (except when I play bass and I have to take it off because I feel like it slows down my movement around the neck but that could be psychosomatic).

18. pkulak Aug 14, 2018

I tried one on and most of the height is in the bezel, the domed crystal, and the display back. Honestly, it feels thinner than a Pelagos on the wrist.

Pelagos+side.jpg
    Doc Savage and fskywalker like this.
  19. nordwulf Aug 17, 2018

I was able to visit an AD today and thought I would like the black PO more than I did. I am not sure if it was all the bright lights in the store but I found it a bit too shiny. And legibility with the hands wasn't that great either, just way too much reflections going on. The weight and height was fine though, it felt nicely balanced on the wrist. It just was a bit flashy for a tool/dive watch for me. But I have the same with the Aquis.

I was actually more drawn to the Aqua Terra. I usually like black or other dark dial colors but had the same issue with legibility of the polished hands against the black background. If it's not at the right angle with the light, you have to take a second look to actually see what time it is. The light grey dial with the blue hands and indices was the best of them all, very classy and easy to read with the contrasting hands.

They had a 20% off Omega sale going on so that's a good start not having to ask for a discount. I wonder if you could get even a bit more. But still a boatload of money for a watch..!

This is the first time I actually put these watches on my wrist. If you have a PO or AT with a dark dial, what do you think of the legibility in regular and low/bright light?

20. larryganz The cable guy Aug 18, 2018

I have owned several AT and I always felt that the lume was never bright enough for me, and so I sold them each time (Quartz white dial, blue Skyfall, blue Master Co-Ax, and AT 2500 with white dial blue hands). Legibility in dim light was poor. It needed to be pitch black with my eyes adjusted to the darkness to see the time. I've never had an issue with legibility with my Planet Ocean 2500 or Ti Planet Ocean 8500/9300, day or night.

Wivac likes this.