Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean 8500 "Resale Value"

1. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 22, 2012

So realizing the Submariner will carry a respectable resale down the road, how will the PO with the new 8500 movement stack up? Will it just be like any other Omega down the road? Sometimes it has me second guessing my purchase. "That silly presitge thing gets in my head"

2. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2012

Right now it's all speculation, but I can say that watches with in-house Swiss calibers have better resale value than watches powered by ETA (or other) outsourced movements. The only exceptions are cult favorites like Doxa and maybe a boutique brand or two, although the boutique thing is more of a fad.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2012

Its hard to say, but what we do know is this:

I paid $2000 for my 2225.80 (ETA 7750 movement) SMPC and its now worth ballpark $2,250 - $2,500 used.
    A 2254.50 SMP is now worth more used than it was originally from an AD.
    The most recent PO model, the Cal 2500 Liquid Metal LE was $5,700 and has stayed at that price used, with BNIB examples exceeding $6,000.
    Cal 8500 Aqua Terras are currently worth about as much used as they initially came out for.

Regarding Submariners, the outgoing 16610 while you can still buy in ADs for around 6-7k, I can get one tomorrow for 3.5k with a few years on it, or under 3k if I hassle some of the pawnbrokers I know.

4. rob541 Jan 23, 2012

I didn't think about the resale value when I bought mine. I could afford it. I am sure it will hold some value as long as I have it. Maybe not all of its value, but few things do. I lucked out with my 2500 when I sold it. I got what I wanted for it and if in the future when and if I try to sell this one, if I don't get what I want, I will keep it. I have had pretty good luck with the watched I have sold - I stick with popular models that people can afford. And this is one of them, I believe. And the way these producers keep upping the prices every Spring, I am sure it will keep my resale value close to where I want it.

Rob

5. Demetrios Mirissis Jan 23, 2012

Thanks for the updated info. This is still a respectable investment, although, I would like to think that someday I'll pass this down to my son who is 10 right now...

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2012

Well that's the other thing, when you're passing it down to your kid, you want it to be a good watch still, but if its worth too much (like the 1960s Paul Newman Daytonas) he's going to be tempted to sell it and buy a Porsche one day :D