Forums Latest Members

Planet Ocean 600M 42mm.......Opinions Needed

1. tegee26 Dec 7, 2014

Hello:

Long time lurker.....first time poster. Being a Breitling and Rolex wearer for many years I'm finally coming around to owning an Omega.

To that end, it would be a tremendous help if I could get the opinions here on the forum from people that have owned the newer style (8500) PO. I absolutely LOVE the watch and like everything about it's fit and finish and obviously the quality of the Omega movement.

BUT.....I am very nervous about the thickness of the case. I have a small wrist (just over 6 1/2") and must get into a 42mm or smaller to have any watch fit comfortably for my liking. The only negative (and/or holdup) I have is with the thicker case vs. the older style 2500.

So if I could get input from people that have owned them and give me feedback before I make the purchase that would be a big help. I really want a PO, but also want to make sure i am making the right decision so I do not have any buyers remorse. And yes, I have been to an Omega AD and most recently an Omega Boutique to try them on in person.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all help you can provide..........

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 7, 2014

A 42mm owner with a wrist only slightly larger than your own and must admit to loving the piece. Thickness for me is not an issue, it just never seems to come in to play. What I do find is the weight combined with the bracelet is pretty hefty and I do prefer it on a strap which knocks around 73g off the o/a weight.

3. Alex_TA Dec 9, 2014

South Park style answer:

1. Go to AD
    2 Wear the watch
    3. Like or don't like?
    4. .....
    5. Profit!

4. cristit Dec 9, 2014

Just try it on your wrist and we can debate after.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 9, 2014

I can tell you at the AD I found the 42 mm uncomfortable to wear because of the thickness versus diameter. It sat on my wrist unbalanced (My wrist is a little over 8". The 46 mm felt good. Still I ended up getting a 46mm 2500 cal model. I didn't mind the look of it, but I do want a watch to "feel" right or I don't wear it much.

After going back and forth what I regret is that I didn't wait and get the 42mm liquid metal on a black dial. To me that is the best PO money can buy, and if you can get a limited edition then even better. it is 2500 cal(but that is plenty, believe me) and it is just amazing to look at. I would try to on the 46 mm as well. I have the New SMP 300 and it is great, but I also have a rolex so the PO on a 42 would give me the line dial markers instead of the dot. If you want the best movement and like the PO aesthetic (who doesn't other than my wife?) once you go to the AD try the seamaster 300 Master coaxial. That is the best caliber movement you can get, with the 8500 movement and 15.000 G antimagnetic protection. Until next year you can only get that movement on the AT (see my avatar) and the SM 300 Master.

enjoy the fitting!

6. jud Dec 9, 2014

Learn something new every day. I didn't know they made the liquid metal in 42mm. That must be one sweet watch. Google here I come.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 9, 2014

I think so....hope I'm.not wrong

:mad:

8. jud Dec 9, 2014

9. tegee26 Dec 10, 2014

First, thank you everyone for your detailed replies.

As mentioned in my OP, I tried on the PO two different times, one at my local AD and another time most recently at the Omega Boutique in the Bellagio in Vegas when I was traveling there on business. Both times I fell in love with the PO. The fit and finish, The improved dial, bezel and bracelet and now the improved 8500 movement are all winners in my opinion. BUT it does have an abnormally thicker case than a typical divers watch. You usually find a thick case like that in a chronograph and alike, at least from my experience but I am no expert.

Anyhow, after perusing the forums, to gauge the likes & dislikes about the PO 600M, I saw a good number of people complaining specifically about the 42mm PO and the thick case being an issue.....that's where my concern(s) are generated from. I personally think every other aspect of the watch is a winner. I also wanted to go with the 8500 PO because I have read several issues about the older 2500 model, and quite frankly, the price difference on a new 8500 vs. the 2500 is minimal. The 42mm PO 600M can be had new from $4,600-$5,200 range; where the 2500 used in the mid-to-upper $3k range for the "D" series.

Well enough of my ranting and again MANY thanks for your responses. I think I am ready to buy the PO 600M and will see how I like it, it looks like an awesome timepiece. And from what I read, the 8500 movement is worth the upgrade. Let's hope my concerns regarding that one issue are moot and I will enjoy the timepiece for many years to come.

BTW: @jud......nice Colnago avatar, beautiful bike. I ride a Cannondale Evo and wish someday to be riding an Italian made!

Happy holidays to all.........

Edited Dec 10, 2014