Forums Latest Members

places to look for vintage watches in nyc?

1. theKfactor Jul 11, 2014

hey gang....I'm off to nyc for some r+r next week. still kinda new to vintage watches but looking for some recommendations on where to look for some watches while in town. Any stores, markets, dealers or otherwise? Any recommendations are appreciated. I'm presently into UG, Omega, Rolex, and other fine watches from the 50's-70's.....thx.

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 11, 2014

A couple of places are John at Alltiques on Bowery Street, Aaron Faber on 5th Ave, the Showplace in Chelsea (I believe there is also the flea market that goes on across the street on weekends, also a big garage sale like a block down from there on the weekends), etc... There are also vintage watches scattered in the Diamond District.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 11, 2014

Frankly, for a major city, NYC sucks for vintage watch hunting.

4. pitpro Likes the game. Jul 11, 2014

John Buckley aka Tuscany Rose (from the VRF) has a shop/booth at 37 W. 47th St.
    Very Reputable!

5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 11, 2014

NYC is a great city to look at watches but a terrible place to purchase watches. High rents + High taxes = expensive watches and everything else.

lenny likes this.
  6. tinger Jul 20, 2014

Chelsea garage flea market is now closed. Another new hotel going up.
    Outdoor flea market 1/2 block east has 1 booth with what seems to have some interesting watches....

I past by the Bowery last Sat.. If i'm not mistaken, the building where John is at is gutted.

Farber sucks. I bought a sm300 there over 1 yr ago to have verify if all is original. I specifically asked the head watchmaker if the watch had been molested.
    Long story short, They said never molested. Later i found out the markers and hands had been relumed.

Oh, I think I paid 120$ ish for this.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 20, 2014

Amen.

8. M.D. Jul 20, 2014

9. theKfactor Jul 27, 2014

well thanks to all...i agree....didn't find anything and not worth the effort dealing with crowds, etc....since i'm new to the game, wanted to ask you all where you look for watches. Obviously e-bay, but what about in person? I go to some local pawn shops, estate sales. Any tips would be much appreciated. I'm located here in Raleigh, N.C.