Forums Latest Members

Pittsburgh, PA: Suggestions for Dinner & Watches?

1. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 24, 2016

Hello again,

My girlfriend and I are going on a little adventure to Pittsburgh, PA this Friday to get lost and spend a nice chunk of change at IKEA:confused:.(Gotta furnish the new house)

Just curious if you guys have any suggestions on good places to eat? We are long overdue for a nice date night.

Also any suggestions for vintage watch shops? I'd like to squeeze a peek into a shop if time allows.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Jake

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 24, 2016

If you know a member the Duquesne Club is the #1 Club in the country.
    Duquesne Club
    duquesne.club
    Otherwise try The Common Plea. Great veal dishes :) Both are located downtown.

rickyoung and Jwit like this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 24, 2016

eat at Cure and get the gnocchi. It will be unforgettable.

rickyoung and Jwit like this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 24, 2016

Whatever you do, do NOT let them convince you to taste an Iron City beer... ::puke::

rickyoung, Pvt-Public, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 24, 2016

Legume is amazing. I was just there last month. It's up there with some Michelin Star restaurants I've eaten at. Full disclosure the wine list was nothing to write home about but serviceable.
    http://www.legumebistro.com/

rickyoung, MikiJ and Jwit like this.
  6. LawBrk Oct 24, 2016

Not aware of any watch shops, but as far as food.....it depends what you want! Casual and fun? Meat & Potatoes. Higher end with great service? Alla Familia.

Others: Cure (LouS suggestion), Tender, Nola (just fun spot, nothing gastronomically amazing).

rickyoung and MikiJ like this.
  7. ulackfocus Oct 24, 2016

Dude, is there a place you haven't been too?

I'll back that statement up. Yuck!

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 24, 2016

And please don't furnish your house at Ikea...

9. meganfox17 Oct 24, 2016

[​IMG]I was laughing my head off reading @ulackfocus 's remark [emoji13]

rickyoung likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 24, 2016

They have some ok stuff at good prices. Lots of crap though.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00242278/ These make killer booze cabnits.

Some decent media stands too. My sister got a really nice farm style dining room table I swore was a few grand from a design studio and it was IKEA

rickyoung likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Oct 24, 2016

You could buy a car pretty cheap there if you're mechanically inclined.

ba08385f0af1cda19d1fdf221fd5c817.jpg

Somebody asks about Australia and he remarks about the coffee being great and where to get it. A couple days later he's giving advice on where to eat in various countries in Europe. Ask for vintage watch shops in any corner of the globe and he'll know where the good ones are. The man is truly cosmopolitan.

kyle L, ahartfie, rickyoung and 2 others like this.
  12. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 25, 2016

Not the entire house, just some stuff here and there.

That's exactly why we are going, to get some stuff that would just be way out of our current budget anywhere else. And yes, a media stand is on that list. I'm also comparing their solid surface countertop prices with some local dealers. I keep getting blown away at the cost of some of these counters.

If money was not a factor my entire house would be furnished by Restoration Hardware. ::love::

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

ahartfie and watchknut like this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 25, 2016

Gotcha...if furnishing a new house, don't discount Craigslist, auctions, antique shops and estate sales--amaxing pieces to be had at great prices.

FYI...RH rips all of its designs from the past. A stroll through the Paris Flea Market showed me that...and you can get the real deal for a fraction of what they charge new!

MikiJ and Jwit like this.
  14. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 25, 2016

Estate Sales can be your very best buys. Just be prepared to rent a U-Haul to get your stuff home.

rickyoung likes this.
  15. rickyoung Oct 25, 2016

Avenue B in the East Pittsburgh/Bloomfield area is great. It's BYOB, but the food is teriffic.
    You can try any place on Penn Ave in downtown. There are about a dozen resturants there all in walking distance from each other.
    I would love to find a good vintage watch dealer in Pittsburgh. There used to be a guy in Bloomfield, but he's passed now.
    I've found a few killer watches at estate sales too.
    Good luck

16. rickyoung Oct 25, 2016

Oh, and I grew up on Stoney's Beer (Google that one)... so the old Iron ain't so bad... lol

Ok, who am I kidding... it's BAD.... But, there are a bunch of micro brews poping up in Lawerenceville these days.

Jwit likes this.
  17. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 28, 2016

Ok so follow up!
    Successful trip to IKEA, got what we needed.

Followed @LouS recommendation and went to Cure. It was right up our alley and the service was incredible. I would highly recommend, and don't shy away from dessert either.

Wore my modern Bulova "military". Reliable, and seemingly indestructible since I've had it.

IMG_3324.JPG IMG_3327.JPG IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3332.JPG
    rickyoung, ahartfie and LouS like this.
  18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2016

Watches and food define much of my travel

They didn't serve you that freaky-deaky gnocchi dish that moves the whole time you are eating it?!

rickyoung likes this.
  19. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 28, 2016

We actually did get the gnocchi just because you recommended it! It was a little jiggly but very flavorful. Quite an interesting menu with a little something for everyone's tastes.

We were actually around the corner from the restaurant last year and ended up walking the opposite direction to grab a drink.

Thanks again for everyone's recommendations and comments :thumbsup:

ahartfie likes this.
  20. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 29, 2016

One of Pittsburgh's favorites. Great food at a reasonable price and a great wine list to boot :)

Jwit likes this.