Forums Latest Members

Pins in Aqua Terra bracelet loose.

1. LuckyLes Feb 27, 2021

Hi All,
    I have just got my 2503 8000 AT with 1574/898 braclet back from a full service. Went to put it on this morning and the pin holding the end link to the bracelet was protruding about 1/2 of its length. I was able to push it back in with my finger with very little force. I checked the other pins in the removable links and most are quite easily pushed out. Is it ok to put a little loctite on these pins to tighten them? If so which loctite do I use.
    Thanks in advance
    LuckyLes

2. wagudc Feb 27, 2021

That doesn't sound right to me. Removing and replacing the pins should require a small mallet. I would talk to the place that did the service. Locite is sometimes used, but as a backup security measure, in this case it sounds like locite would be all that is holding it together.

3. LuckyLes Feb 27, 2021

Thanks wagudc,
    I'll give them a call tomorrow.
    Les

wagudc likes this.
  4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 27, 2021

I’m betting they put the bracelet in the ultrasonic and without the dirt, the pins are loose/worn and are falling out.

Turpinr likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 27, 2021

The pins are held in the bracelet by sleeves in the centre link. As they age the fit becomes loose due to wear and sometimes when cleaned the removal of the crud holding everything together lets the pins slide out more easily.

To use any form of Loctite, you would need to apply it to the sleeve/pin interface, and I can't see how you could do that. I would not advise using Loctite.

Best option is to get new pins/sleeves, but depending on how many you need, a new bracelet could be cheaper.

Edited Feb 27, 2021
    Turpinr likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 27, 2021

7. LuckyLes Feb 27, 2021

Thanks JiminOz,
    Is it possible to peen the centre section of the pin a little to tighten it in the tube?

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 27, 2021

It could be done.

You would need to see what part of the tube engages the groove on the pin, if your pins/sleeves are like the ones I posted above, then the grooves on the sleeve are the grip points.

You could squeeze the tube very very gently with end cutters.

Much like adjusting a canon pinion.

Be aware though, that the wall of the sleeve where the "rings" are is likely to be worn thinner than the rest of the sleeve.

9. LuckyLes Feb 27, 2021

I'll ring the watch repairer tomorrow and depending on his response, I may have to have a little play.
    Thanks
    Les

wagudc likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2021

It is typically part of a service to check these, so really your watchmaker should be testing the pins to make sure they were not loose, and swapping the pins and tubes as needed. The bracelet needs maintenance just like the rest of the watch. Omega even makes a specific spring loaded tool to test the pins with, but I just use a pin tool, and if I can move it just pushing on it with my hand, it gets replaced.

These wear over time - in contrast to the photo Jim posted above, this is what worn ones look like sometimes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the prices being asked in that eBay link are nuts. These are $2 each from Omega, so $2 for the pin and $2 for the tube - even that is expensive IMO. These come in packages of 10 usually, but for common bracelets I service a lot of (like the Bond bracelet) I buy them in packages of 250 of each as shown below...

[​IMG]

If you are really in a pinch and your watchmaker doesn't have access to parts (if so he probably shouldn't be servicing a co-axial, but that's another conversation) then the best way to tighten a loose pin is not to use glue or do anything with the tube, but to rough up the pin. Take a pair of pliers with sharp teeth in the jaws and squeeze the pin where the narrow spot on the tube is located to rough it up. This will get you by while you get some replacements.

Cheers, Al

Turpinr, ctpete and JimInOz like this.
  11. LuckyLes Feb 28, 2021

Thanks Archer,
    The prices that you quote are a bit of an eye opener. The pin that slid out was nowhere near as worn as the one in your photo and I am thiking that the tube may be badly worn or missing. I will let you know how I get on with the repair centre.
    Thanks
    Les

12. LuckyLes Feb 28, 2021

I contacted the repairer this morning and his response was "That shouldn't be like that, can you bring it back in and we will fix it."
    So I will pull the bracelet and post it down to them. Really good response in my opinion.
    LuckyLes

wagudc likes this.
  13. NT931 Mar 1, 2021

I learned a new word: "peen" !

Good to hear that they are committed to doing it right :thumbsup:

Turpinr likes this.
  14. LuckyLes Mar 1, 2021

Glad to broaden your knowledge. I'm 70 and I learn something new everyday.

NT931 likes this.