Forums Latest Members

Pinion Axis Bronze Hands-On Review

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 29, 2014

[​IMG]
    During SalonQP last year, Pinion was introduced and showed their Axis collection to the public. Not too long ago they sent us the bronze version simple called the Pinion Axis Bronze. ‘Hold on to it for some time as it only get’s more beautiful’, they explained. So we did. Our pinion arrived in a small package containing a flat, cotton like bag holding the Axis in a nicely crafted leather ‘watch wallet’, and user manual. Information in the manual is really straight forward and no-nonsense. So our first impressions are good! Pinion Axis Bronze For me this is the first ever time I actually get to […]
    The post Pinion Axis Bronze Hands-On Review appeared first on Fratello Watches.

2. ICONO Oct 29, 2014

I do not want to appear overly harsh on a fledgling English Company

However this is a 2824 movement in an underwhelming watch, from a virtually unknown Company,
    that costs Two Thousand, Three Hundred, & Fifty Pounds...........( $3,190 )

This is fine, if you are Cartier, with their design, their branding, their history, and their niche market desirability.

But this is pretty much the same movement, as in a Steinhart, costing less than 1/6 of the price.

Helston do something very similar, ( same movement, bronze case, edgier design ) at 1/2 the price.

Personally, I find this design uninspiring ( School Classroom clock ? ) ......the wrist presence negligible.....and the chosen Brand Name, 'Pinion'........frankly, bizarre....It may have horological connotations....but it is not exactly 'sexy'

I am left wondering who Pinion believe, their 'Target Market' is

cicindela, Archer and STANDY like this.
  3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 29, 2014

One question, have you seen and played with the Pinion Axis in the flesh? The watch feels and looks (talking about finish) so much better than any of those cheap Steinhart-alike companies spitting watches. I've seen parts of the production process myself and was amazed how many effort is being put in details. Believe me, I've seen a couple of factories. Especially their new and upcoming collection will be stunning. The details of the dial and high quality of finish of all parts were just on a very high level.

However, I agree with you that Pinion needs to explain about the level of details and finish of their watches and what makes them stand out of the crowd. Why someone should pick a Pinion watch instead of a watch from brands like Omega at same price level. Once they do, I am pretty sure their new collection (of which I've seen some previews) will make some of the comments out there (the Steinhart comparison has been made a couple of times) pretty harsh.

Regarding the design. To each his own of course, like you say. However, Bert of FW has been wearing this watch for months and it is one of the watches that got a lot of comments due tot he bronze and green-dial combination. As for wearing sake, and I know Bert has a lot of different watches, I've hardly seen him wearing some of his other pieces anymore when he had this Pinion.

RJ

4. George.A Oct 29, 2014

Same here. Ok, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but for a 3k $ price tag, their value proposition is rather slim, to be polite.

5. ICONO Oct 29, 2014

Sorry Robert - Personally, your review feels more like an ' Advertorial ', rather than an impartial, objective, watch review.

Having read it several times - I do not believe you found a single area for criticism in the design / pricing structure.

Nice pictures though.

Without balance, credibility could, perhaps, be eroded ?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 29, 2014

It is a $800 watch no ifs or buts. There is no magic pedigree spin that can be put on the movement or the brand

7. George.A Oct 29, 2014

To better express my opinion in order to avoid any confusions: if I were to spend 3k $ on a new watch, I would either look into the ones that have in-house movements (or heavily modified, at least) or I would look to those who have some really neat technologies besides the movement (tool watches like Sinn or Damasko to mention a few). Having neither of those 2, the only thing that may convince me to reach for my wallet would be a big brand name on the dial, something that I associate with a long lasting tradition and a keen eye on details (not to mention a very scrupulous quality assurance).
    Unfortunately, this watch does not belong in any of these 3 categories. I did not see it in person, so I can not say if it's actually worth the price tag or not, but since it fails on my 3 main criteria, I would not include it in my "consideration set".

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

I'll just add, Bert actually prefaced the review stating

He tries to make it clear that he's expressing his views on a watch that he actually has enjoyed quite a lot, and probably didn't initially expect to. I really do know how he feels in that respect as just recently I went from being a long time anti-Panerai person to trying a PAM104 for about a month, which is a watch selling these days at about twice the price of this piece in spite of only being powered by an ETA 7750 with its chronograph components removed.

As I wore that watch, fully expecting to find it too big, too clunky, too cheaply finished and tacky I found that I actually started to like it, quite a lot. I could have gone out each day wearing a Zenith A386, Rolex Daytona, or one of a number of Speedmasters but I kept wearing the PAM104 as I'd look at it and genuinely think it looked pretty cool.

So now after mocking them for their size, simplicity, and unsophisticated nature, I'm giving serious consideration to selling a Submariner to fund a PAM422, an even bigger 47mm Luminor marina with imitation patina and a plexiglass crystal.

Bert did actually wear this thing for months, and has a lot of more technically impressive watches he could to choose to wear in its place but found that he liked it, and its happened to me too, probably to many people.

9. ICONO Oct 29, 2014

#Man 1 " What are you wearing today ? "

#Man 2 " I am wearing my new Pinion ! "

#Man 1 " Errr.............Is that some kind of Gentlemen's surgical appliance ??? "

Bizarre..........

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2014

Emphasis added by me above...

You seem to be equating the Panerai OPIII movement with what I can only assume is a stock ETA 2824-2 in this Pinion watch. I think that is a mistake for a couple of reasons. Now I don't know what grade of 2824-2 is in this Pinion watch, but my guess is that if it was highly decorated, or used Top grade components (Glucydur balance, Anachron balance spring, etc.), that Pinion would be shouting this from the rooftops, so I am going to assume this likely has an undecorated Elabore grade movement.

In contrast the 7750 in the 104 (I own a 104 and have serviced a lot of watches with this movement) is in fact COSC certified, and again since Pinion does not state that theirs is a COSC watch, I doubt it is. How important that is to you is another thing, but it certainly is a substantial difference.

Now for me any watch review that does not include any technical information, such as rate results, is really nothing but a fluff piece anyway...but chances are given what I know now, the Pinion is not likely to be as accurate as the Panerai would be generally speaking.

Also, the OPIII is actually much more than just a stock 7750 with the chronograph parts removed. The dial side of the movement is redesigned to provide an instantaneous date change, which the 7750 certainly does not have. In addition the OPIII is fairly well decorated, with perlage, Côtes de Genève, rhodium plating, etc.

These are not comparable movements in my view. Also, Panerai is a well established brand, and the price of something has little to do with production costs (I keep saying this but sometimes it doesn't seem to get through), so the real question is why do Pinion think they can charge what they charge with no real brand name to back them up? Why did Kobold suddenly double their prices overnight several years ago without any changes to their watch line? It's all about perception and what you think the market will bear, and Pinion are gambling that people will bite at this price point. Maybe they will, but to me these are not exactly inspired designs so I would not be betting in their favour personally.

Cheers, Al

Skv and ICONO like this.
  11. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 29, 2014

As what dsio wrote, Bert started his review by stating that "Where we try to write an article as objective as possible, personal views are always depicted no matter what. With the amount of watches we get to test and review, personal taste will determine the actual wrist time any watch gets. In case of the Pinion Axis, it was a lot of wrist time.".

The angle for this review was 'wearers experience' and that's what it is. That it doesn't meet your requirements for a review is a pity, but there are people out there who are less technical driven when collecting watches. The only thing I can vouch for is that Bert wore it all the time as he was so smitten by it, based on the design and the use of the bronze and green dial. Sometimes it doesn't need much more. Is that worth $3100 USD? For you it surely isn't, for others it might be.

Clearly, it is not the watch you would buy, but try to understand that you might not be the average watch buyer out there. Personally, I still don't understand why people buy brand X or Y all the time, but that's just me and I don't represent all watch buyers. Perhaps the best example is that I don't get it that people are spending over 20K Euro on a new gold Rolex. That's beyond my understanding, but you will see them everywhere. However, I am also convinced that once you see the stuff I've seen already and you actually spend some time to see how well build their watches are, you might be more mildly towards them.

RJ

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 29, 2014

Robert. What I'd really love to see is a write up on the new Christopher Ward in-house movement, now they are a month into selling them. I think this is far more exciting for a British company (and I am British). By comparison, at £1,500 on a strap or bracelet, it offers far better value for money, as do their other generically powered watches.

Robert-Jan and George.A like this.
  13. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 29, 2014

Good idea. Let me check if I have a contact there and if so, I will request one of their in-house movement models for a review. Perhaps see if I can get some more English brands and do a 'Made in England' special :)

Stewart H likes this.
  14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 29, 2014

If they don't want it back, it's my Dad's 80th in March and he really liked the look of it :whistling:

Robert-Jan likes this.
  15. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 29, 2014

Yeah, till now all brands want their watches back. Most of the time you get press samples or even prototype watches.

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 29, 2014

Oh well, I guess I'll have to drive him up to Maidenhead and buy him one.

17. ICONO Oct 29, 2014

Apologies again Robert, it may be that English is not your first language, and I may be misinterpreting your intended meaning - So forgive me, if I am.

But when you write :

"Where we try to write an article as objective as possible, personal views are always depicted no matter what."

That is a contradiction in terms ! - You simply cannot blend objectivity, & subjectivity at will, and hope to retain credence.

It is either one or it is another

It is either a factual report, dissecting / discussing the pros & cons of a particular watch / brand.....
    or it is,........ as Archer terms it..........."really nothing but a fluff piece"..........In other words.....
    ...sheer hyperbole, that bears no resemblance to reality.

In your response you also say :

"Personally, I still don't understand why people buy brand X or Y all the time"

Are you saying you really do not understand "Brand Loyalty" ?

The very existence of this Forum is evidence of a confirmed & dedicated allegiance to a specific brand....Understanding what motivates customers, & crafting the 'call to action', is crucial to any commercial success.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

First, Robert's native language is Dutch, so you are correct with your conjecture.
    Despite this, I am not having any problem understanding his message. It appears to be very simple to me. When writing an article he tries to be objective, but we all have our biases that can undermine our best efforts.
    Secondly , I have spoken with Robert in the past, and I am quite certain he understands what "brand loyalty" is. However understanding what motivates brand loyalty is often difficult to ascertain or understand at times, as it very individual.
    Perhaps you are being too literal or would do better to debate him Dutch.:)

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 30, 2014

I think what is missing is the Thing that powers the watch. The case is talked about the dial the feel the everything but the movement.

What type,what class, what decoration, what material it is made of, what does it look like. We know you can get one for $50-$200.

Try reviewing something like a new car against a established car brand and go on about the look and just say its a motor but its built well and looks nice thats why its expensive how many cars are you going to sell.

You should have given your opinion on the movement to be a true review but you have fallen for their marketing (Build and Looks only)
    To me it is still a $800 watch nothing more.

I do take my hat off to you for putting all content on this forum.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2014

RJ actually doesn't directly post these, I set up an RSS feed importer long ago primarily because the SpeedyTuesday articles that Fratellowatches produce are in my opinion the best long running Omega content on the internet from any watch blog and something I look forward to every week and wanted to be shared with the rest of the community here. There are also some great articles outside of Speedmasters which is part of the reason why its the entire RSS feed getting pulled not just the Speedmaster articles, things like this for example:

http://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-constellation-watches/

I'm going to try to change how we import it to make it a bit more specific to the community's preferences but to be clear I've always been a fan of Fratellowatches' work especially the brilliant Omega related content and made the choice to start importing it as threads as I wanted it to be shared the rest of the forum.

ICONO, Georgieboy58 and STANDY like this.