Forums Latest Members
  1. Kelz May 26, 2014

Currently valued at $1000cad. I am strongly considering this pierce triple date. That being said, I know nothing about this brand of watches and would love any type of information on this model. It does not take an expert however to be able to tell that this watch is in excellent condition.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 26, 2014

Take this with a grain of salt ifyou will ... i have heard they can be nigh on impossible to fix when issues arise

3. Kelz May 26, 2014

Have heard that as well. Definetly will. Thanks for your advice.

4. woodwkr2 May 26, 2014

You're thinking of the chronographs. Pierce used a very interesting movement design which incorporated a leather part. As you can imagine, when the leather gets old and begins disintegrating you run into problems.

The Triple Dates, to my knowledge, do not have these problems.

Can we get a movement shot?

Kelz likes this.
  5. Kelz May 26, 2014

I will look into getting one tommrow when i return to his store. It is a reputated dealer that i believe i can trust, and i am considering buying the watch myself without any further consultations. Once he shows me the movement, what should i be on the lookout for?

6. woodwkr2 May 26, 2014

I'd advise you to take pictures and post them here so that we can look over the movement for you. If you're comfortable flying blind, that's your call.

Kelz likes this.
  7. Kelz May 26, 2014

Thank you for your advice woodwkr2. That being said, can anyone provide any information on the asking price?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 26, 2014

Here is what the business end of this watch should look like:

[​IMG]

This particular example was sold on eBay not too long ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321089004636?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I think that the price was fair for this one.
    gatorcpa

Kelz likes this.
  9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 26, 2014

Don't you just love that friction spring for the centre seconds pinion - it makes the Omega 5xx look puny.

Kelz likes this.
  10. Kelz May 26, 2014

My heart is not set out on a pierce. But you are right, I am looking for a triple date moon phase around the $1000 range. Just for fun.

Is this pierce really that bad?

I am open to suggestions. Furthermore, my budget is just a rough ballpark. If the example is exceptional, I could be persuaded.

Aswell, thanks for the movement pics guys.

11. woodwkr2 May 26, 2014

I don't think the Pierce is a poor choice, and if it has been serviced for that price, I don't think it's exorbitant-- triple calendar/moonphases can be expensive to service. Granted you could find a "bigger" name if you stretched your budget a little. There are some nice Movado triples with moon phase that go for around $1500 but to really upgrade you're looking in the $2-4.5k range, minimum, for a nice Omega Cosmic. The JLC, Vacheron, and Universal pieces will easily set you back $5-6K.

I like buying triples with moon phase based on the calibre. There are some cool valjoux examples, a few venus examples, pierce, omega, universal, etc....

For the valjoux, venus, and later, automatic felsa movements, you can frequently find a no-name or house brand in decent condition for a very reasonable price.

Pierce is significantly undervalued if you think about what it is--a complicated, in-house calibre.

Kelz likes this.
  12. Kelz May 26, 2014

And thats what I thought as well. Personally, the name difference between movado and pierce is negligible, at least in my eyes. So to me its not worth the extra 500 - 700. In terms of the price, it was his asking, so I speculate that he will be willing to adjust, at least a bit .

In regards to it being serviced, it is. All of his watches come pre serviced with a one year personal warranty. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in the original post.

Thanks again woodwkr2.