Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 Apr 19, 2013

Hi folks,
    I've looked at Pie-pan Connies before, esp the stainless steel ones, but never quite pulled the trigger as I was always worried about getting duped. Reading Desmond's webpages about fake / franken Connies was very useful for learning, but applying it to Connies on sale wasn't always easy.

So this Connie comes up for sale on another forum, at $400, and I'm wondering if there's a catch at this price. I've emailed the seller for movement pictures. I think the crown is not original, and there are scratches on the 1 o'clock lug.

I'm sure there are other features (good and bad) I've missed so I'm checking with all of you - does this watch look decent so far (while I await the movement pictures)?

Thanks!

2. Sherbie Apr 19, 2013

Imho, just walk away. There a a lot of little things i dont like - the case, the dial, the description, the swiss mase T, the price ( is too low) - so I smell a rat

cheers, Paul

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 19, 2013

Looks fake to me. Both dial and case.

4. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2013

Be VERY wary of fakes and scams. Both situations have been happening very frequently in the last couple months.

5. NT931 Apr 19, 2013

As always you guys are awesome! Thanks for the info, I will not have anything to do with this watch then.

I thought it looked a bit odd but didn't have enough expertise to say why, nor could I put a finger on it. Nice to know that while I still can't consistently nor reliably smell a rat, my ability to detect murine odors has improved just a tiny bit, thanks to this forum :thumbsup:

6. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 19, 2013

I'm going to go out on a limb here.
    I am new to studying the Connie,
    but this watch's dial hands and case look
    just fine and original to me. Crown Not.
    The 1 "T" dial signifies the amount of radioactivity
    given off by the lume
    Hands seems to match the period examples
    and are correct length.
    As far as the price, it's too low.
    Could it be a scam? Sure. With that low of a price,
    you must assume that it is and go from there.

7. Mothra Apr 19, 2013

Its missing a marker at three, but it looks like watchyouwant leapt on it anyway - the price is too low, so it will be interesting to see how achim fares....

8. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 19, 2013

Not so sure about that...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 19, 2013

Yes not all 168.005 s have markers at 3.
    0331.jpg

10. Sherbie Apr 19, 2013

Also, its being sold on a watch forum, so members must know to show movement pictures. Failure to do show always raises suspicions.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 20, 2013

I don't know. Watch looks pretty good to me. Crown is incorrect, but a factory replacement could probably be found. I would need to see movement pictures and case reference to have a better idea. If you're buying at $400 on this, you'll normally be taking a chance on something.
    gatorcpa

12. NT931 Apr 21, 2013

hi folks, what about these two on ebay?

#1 is herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, #2 can be found herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm thinking #2 looks fake as it doesn't match what the OVD says about the 167.005, plus the date window is not faceted.

But is #1 legit? The dial looks like it has appropriate patina, but edges of the case aren't too sharp perhaps at the lugs? Is it worth the $1250 that the seller is asking?

Thanks!

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 21, 2013

Legit, a bit polished & overpriced. That dial is not in great condition either.

14. Mothra Apr 22, 2013

i know not all connies have the marker at three, but having been caught out by a missing date window surround on a 751 i know what that small round hole at three is for. I also have pie pans with the marker at three...