Forums Latest Members

*Pics* My PO8500 movement seems to be lacking a part

1. rahul718 May 21, 2016

I found a picture of the 8500 movement in the planet ocean and compared it to mine. Under the ruby looking piece and balance wheel in the picture there seem to be gold spokes that I'm not able to locate in my movement. Sorry if I'm not using the right terminology.

[​IMG]

White and black arrows point to what I'm referring to
    [​IMG]

And here is my movement
    [​IMG]

And here's another close up I found online and those gold teeth aren't there either:
    [​IMG]

Since I bought this watch used two years ago I'm beginning to wonder how genuine the watch is now. It came with all papers and was originally bought from an AD.

Anyone have comments? I took my cellphone flashlight up close and still can't locate these spokes.

mebest likes this.
  2. _Omega_ May 21, 2016

Do you have an OB nearby? Maybe pop in and just have them authenticate to put your mind at rest.

Sent from a tiny keyboard

3. _Omega_ May 21, 2016

Do you have an OB nearby? Maybe pop in and just have them authenticate to put your mind at rest.

Sent from a tiny keyboard

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2016

Your watch is fine -= no need to take to anyone. The serial number indicates it has an 8500 B version inside, which uses a different shape and colour co-axial wheel (the part in question) than the later versions do.

It's all good.

Cheers, Al

ahartfie, Garv and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. T WIN May 21, 2016

The comparison pic shows an example of a replica 8500 movement. I suspect your movement is genuine..

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2016

No it doesn't - every photo shown in this thread so far is genuine...

Willem023 likes this.
  7. T WIN May 21, 2016

Ok.. Maybe I'm wrong. However, the description clearly reads Master Planet Ocean Replica Coaxial movement.

Cheers..

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2016

The first image appears to be from a site that discusses (at least) fake watches. However what they are showing here is completely correct. I would assume that on fake sites, real watches are shown to gauge how accurate the fakes are in comparison (I don't know because I don't frequent such sites). The top image with the caption you are referring to is a rendering rather than a photo, and I suspect is an image that Omega produced themselves.

Again the movement images shown here are all good. We have seen people post auctions with fake 8500 movements, and they certainly do not look like these. They are faked by putting a plate over the whole movement to hide what's really running the watch. Items are out of place, the balance is not right, there are no pivots in any of the jewels, etc. Faking an 8500 to the level shown here would be a major undertaking that fakers just aren't up to yet.

Edited May 21, 2016
    rahul718 likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 21, 2016

That does not make it correct. Unless you are an expert or a qualified watchmaker why would you offer an opinion is such a matter?

10. rahul718 May 21, 2016

Thanks a lot Archer, you may have saved me some paranoia. So what you're saying is the early versions, when the 8500 first came out, they had this golden spoke cog sort of mechanism and it was taken out in later models such as the one I have?

11. rahul718 May 21, 2016

Also, what's the breakdown as far as serial numbers and how they're correlated with the 8500 generation brackets?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2016

Other way around - later versions than yours have the gold co-axial wheel.

13. vinn2 May 21, 2016

Archer; how about using a camera attachment to a disecting microscope? vinn

14. rahul718 May 21, 2016

Interesting. My watch was purchased in 2013 from an AD - this makes it one of the earlier editions of the 8500 movement? Around what year was the new 8500 introduced with the gold co-axial wheel (pictured below with arrows)

[​IMG]

And what's the serial number breakdown in regards to knowing which SN would have the updated movement? Just asking since you knew right away mine was an 8500B.

I took a new picture of my movement - you're absolutely sure it's genuine? Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse, I just want to put this to rest.

[​IMG]

Are you really an Omega qualified watch maker? If so, that's pretty cool! Thanks for your help too.

I also don't even see a coaxial wheel at all, even if it's not gold. Did the older ones like have a different shape coaxial wheel?

Edited May 21, 2016
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 21, 2016

archer.gif

Taddyangle and Garv like this.
  16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 21, 2016

You bought it from an AD. They would have too much to lose to try selling fakes, @Archer is an Omega certified watchmaker. Listen to what he says.

17. TNTwatch May 21, 2016

There's a wheel right under the balance wheel of your watch, that's the coaxial wheel. You wouldn't see a wheel, but a pallet fork under the balance wheel of the old style movement.

rahul718 likes this.
  18. rahul718 May 21, 2016

Not quite. I bought it from a guy who bought it used from An AD, papers, receipts and all

19. rahul718 May 21, 2016

Gotcha. So that mechanism was done away with with the newer 8500 movements

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 21, 2016

Yes it's an earlier version. The G version has the gold co-axial wheel, and it was released in 2014.

I don't know where the transitions are for the serial number range. The reason I knew what version yours was is because I looked it up on the Omega Extranet - something I have access to because I'm a watchmaker, and is not available to the general public.

Yes.

Yes the shape in the A and B versions is different than the G, so instead of looking like the "ninja star" version, it's more like a regular wheel. This is example not from an 8500 but more closely resembles what your co-axial wheel looks like in overall shape. There are differences because this is a 2500 wheel:

[​IMG]

Now I would suggest you relax and enjoy your watch. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Al

Willem023, rahul718, Nitzbar and 3 others like this.