Forums Latest Members

Picked up a trench watch that was in the book Military Timepieces

1. river rat Apr 14, 2021

When I got into the hobby of collecting vintage Military watches mostly US issued timepieces of all kinds issued wristwatches and packet watches and clocks due to they were cheap at the time and that's what I could afford I got this book for ID Military Timepieces by Whitney still the best one for any type of US issued timepieces I used the hell out of it to bad some US issued watches are not cheap any more. The book is taped together I used it so much through the years my favorite book on military timepieces. Well I was trolling eBay after getting out bided a few times so was looking at trench watches since there still under the radar and found one that was in my favorite book Whitney used a lot of other military collectors watches and clocks for his book and there knowledge there all starting to pass away and if not for this book a lot of that knowledge would of been gone. This one was out of a Military collectors collection named Fred C. Hougham I got this watch from his son. This was made by the Beleco watch co swiss made 16 jewel movement it's on page 532 in the book Military Timepieces and a movement photo was used on the front first page in the book. It's a privilege to own a watch that was in this book. Should get it on Friday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a few trench watches but the first to come with a shrapnel guard over the crystal. It needed a strap so ordered one from Prairie Flower Leather Co. for 25 bucks it's worth checking out. Link below for the strap.
    Military Reproductions (pflco.com)

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 14, 2021

Hope I don't rain on anyones parade but there is an edition of 'Military Timepieces' by M.E. Whitney on the bay at the moment :thumbsup:

3. SkunkPrince Apr 14, 2021

Nice one. I have a soft spot in my head for trench watches. I would like to get the Elgin 6S next!

4. river rat Apr 15, 2021

Well got it today. The watch is like mint condition the lume has great patina and aged to a great color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Has a interesting protection for the crystal called a shrapnel guard to protect the crystal when crawling through the trenches in WW1.

5. SkunkPrince Apr 15, 2021

People call them "shrapnel guards" but they weren't, really. More a guard against normal hazards during the war, like smacking your watch against a doorway or a rock or your buddy's rifle.

wagudc likes this.
  6. river rat Apr 20, 2021

Above I posted a link for buying WW1 era trench watch straps received the one I ordered not bad for 25 bucks. The leather is great the buckle ok but does the job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 21, 2021
    dancazacu, Alpha, Larry S and 7 others like this.