Forums Latest Members

Picked a bargain on eBay - Should I be more careful on this?

1. lonemian Feb 3, 2019

Today I picked up a decent vintage chronograph (https://www.ebay.com/itm/163516329352Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

The seller is located in Romania and has sold products since 2018. Feedback score is only 111.

I googled the seller's id and nothing comes up.

Although it's not from famous brands, but I think it's still cheap for what it looks like.

What should I check up before paying? I want to pay and get the watch right away if it's not a scam...

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 오후 10.10.03.png
    superfly likes this.
  2. OMEGuy Feb 3, 2019

I wouldn't be afraid of being scammed by the seller, but would try to make sure that shipping is safe.

The dial looks like a redial to me.

3. jerryct Feb 3, 2019

I would vote that it’s a redial too.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 3, 2019

Few screws missing in the movement, especially the ones that hold the movement in.
    Bad redial
    Gold cap wearing out on the lugs

Probably not a scam, but a dogs breakfast to be honest.

Compare the printing of the sundials
    FA28238B-A6E0-49D7-8274-AC76F29F9002.jpeg

watchknut likes this.
  5. OMEGuy Feb 3, 2019

All correct, but is mentioned in the description ('some damage and scufs of the gold plating'... 'sold for service / repairs') , apart from the redial thing.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 3, 2019

@OMEGuy Here lies the problem

Taddyangle and OMEGuy like this.
  7. FlyingSnoopy Feb 3, 2019

I would be careful with eBay....

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 3, 2019

Dial looks fine, fairly typical quality control for a low grade "no name" 1960s chronograph.

Why would anyone bother to refinish the dial on something like this?

Tony C., Vitezi, wsfarrell and 2 others like this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 3, 2019

I think for $310 you should just roll the dice and pay.
    It looks attractive to me, for the price.

10. McKinley Feb 3, 2019

I am a complete NOOB, but this is EXACTLY what I thought. I hope this means I am catching on, even if I am not brave enough to post before a real expert weighs in. ;-)

McK

11. Dan S Feb 3, 2019

While it seems pointless to re-dial a low-quality piece like this, the very uneven printing on the subdials (and the soft edges of the subdials themselves) does suggest a re-dial to me. In the end, it hardly matters given the low quality and poor overall condition. I think the OP got what he paid for.

As an aside, the time to ask questions is before bidding. Once you make a purchase, it is a contract, and the OP's attitude towards paying is unethical IMO. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I feel it's necessary to call this out, otherwise we implicitly enable this type of behavior.

tikkathree, Shabbaz, Foo2rama and 7 others like this.
  12. jimmyd13 Feb 3, 2019

I have a real issue with anyone buying a watch (be it ebay or anywhere else), then deciding to ask questions about the purchase and "check up before paying". You've bought a watch. You've entered a contract. Pay the man his money.

Your time for checking was before you placed a bid. If the watch is a redial (it is); if the movement has been badly looked after (it has); if it's a fake (it's not); these and many other things are what you should have looked at BEFORE you offered the seller money and BEFORE you prevented someone else buying it who didn't have the idea of reneging on his word.

Meet your obligations and live with your mistake. It might prevent you from making more in future. It's a shame eBay doesn't insist on buyers meeting their obligations. If you went into a bricks and mortar auction house and did this, you wouldn't be allowed back in.

tikkathree, Shabbaz, adi4 and 5 others like this.
  13. Just Livin Feb 3, 2019

I bought a watch off eBay for $300 myself last week.
    I paid up immediately.

I think for this type of price range its all about having fun.

In my case the makers brand I couldn't find. A movement pic was lacking.
    But tried to research on both before making an offer. The price level helps to offset the risk here.

For sure am checking seller history. Redial. Plots. History/description.

Would not dream of backing out. Am with @jimmyd13 on this one for integrity for completion post bid/offer, and @Spacefruit on rolling the dice :)

s-l1600.jpg

mancio and Spacefruit like this.
  14. TDBK Feb 3, 2019

I agree on the idea that you should ask questions first and bid later. The only exceptions I would make are: if the seller makes a specific factual representation which can be determined not to be true and which would justify a return, then figuring it out earlier and cancelling the transaction is justified; similarly, if the seller offers returns without reason, saving everyone cost and trouble of shipping and returning seems reasonable.

But if the seller doesn't make such a commitment and it's an as-is sale, once you bid, you are committed and it's unfair to back out because you had second thoughts, further consideration, or did your research afterwards. Looking at the auction, I think that's the situation here--seller doesn't represent much, says look at the photos, and says auction is as-is.

Enjoy your watch--you weren't scalped, and if you enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with the purchase.

Spacefruit likes this.
  15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 3, 2019

Sorry I don't really understand, you have bought this piece and only now wonder if you should pay for it :(

time flies and STANDY like this.
  16. Evitzee Feb 3, 2019

As always, 'buy the seller'. Have bought many watches on eBay, never been scammed or disappointed but the sellers were generally well known and sold products that were well described with good, safe shipping. Do your homework and if the deal seems fishy dig extra hard. But a lot of good stuff available at good prices.

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 3, 2019

The watch was clearly described and had good hi res photos.
    You took the plunge based on that and you entered a contract, time to pay.

Alpha, tikkathree, JanV and 3 others like this.
  18. wsfarrell Feb 3, 2019

Agree.

19. chronoboy64 Feb 3, 2019

Amen ! :whipped:

20. Vitezi Feb 3, 2019

Yep! It's just a hobby...have fun! ::psy::