Forums Latest Members

Phillips Winning Icons Newman....

1. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2017

I was flicking through the Phillips catalogue this eve and thought I would read a little more on the Newman Daytona's online and look at the different models etc. I stumbled across this post on TRF.

The guy makes some very valid points which makes me think there is something a miss with the actual Newman Daytona!

And the treehouse.... WTF??

Take a look...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=564511

trackpad, Kmart, Baz9614 and 3 others like this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 12, 2017

:eek:
    ...totally pertinent questions...
    ::popcorn::::popcorn::::popcorn::

Orologium likes this.
  3. Orologium Oct 12, 2017

I saw this thread on TRF earlier and was about to copy it here as well (you beat me to it @DLT222 ;))

All very relevant questions... The lack off any Rolex or Tiffany confirmation is very strange, If Rolex can confirm the Milsub in the same auction is ok then why can't they comment on the most famous Rolex ever???
    I think at present Phillips only have a claim to a Newman Daytona coming via family/friends of Paul Newman, NOT Paul Newmans actual Exotic Daytona!...

jfinch likes this.
  4. Baz9614 Oct 12, 2017

Unfortunately I cannot view the case pics referenced in his post as I'm not a TRF member, but I'd be very curious to see the differences in the cases! Maybe I'll do my own online comparison :thumbsdown:

Jwit and JimJupiter like this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 12, 2017

What pics?

newman_1.jpg newman_2.jpg

JimJupiter, Jwit and Baz9614 like this.
  6. Orologium Oct 12, 2017

More thoughts from me...
    Many photos of the watch on PNs wrist show the crown unscrewed, if you look closely at the crown in the wrist shot on this thread it looks like a section has snapped off the bottom likely resulting in it not being able to be screwed down.
    The Phillips watch has crown intact and screwed down...

7. Baz9614 Oct 12, 2017

Keep in mind I'm a Rolex novice, but is it possible the threads were shot on the case, and therefore replaced?

8. Orologium Oct 12, 2017

It's more likely the crown hasn't got enough inner thread to grip the pendant tube that protrudes the side of the case.
    Therefore if the crown had been replaced for genuine Rolex parts there should be service records and it should be noted in the Phillips description that the crown is not original to the watch...

Baz9614 likes this.
  9. Traveler Oct 12, 2017

I think Sensui's reply to this is on point :

I have nothing to gain from this.....but here are my thoughts:

1) Paul Newman has passed and the is survived through his family/memories of his achievements. I don't see what better provenance you can get @ this point short of the guy that received it recording him on the spot or asking him to sign some kind of letter stating so in that time period....which was not done.

2) Rolex and Tiffany technically have nothing to do/gain with vintage auctions etc. Rolex for sure doesn't easily release documentation regarding any past watches they've sold and is tight lipped about specifications.

3) Serial numbers on production is an approximation of dates derived from data plots that other vintage fans shared with their own watches to approximate years of production/sale. I would say that is certainly close enough in the range.

4) We all know Paul had multiple Daytonas at the time, it's not outside the realm of reality he had many similar models.

trackpad likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 12, 2017

Maybe there is a simple explanation for all this. Like ‘The Paul Newman with the wrong case is just a random (wrong) picture of A Paul Newman that’s not the actual one being sold’. But sure, there must be more provinance than a tree house...

Baz9614 and DLT222 like this.
  11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 13, 2017

One thing that no one has addressed which I am amazed...

Does the tree house come with the watch?

Thats a game changer if so! I assume it will be flat packed for shipping.

OMGRLX, Kmart, NT931 and 2 others like this.
  12. mr_yossarian Oct 13, 2017

13. tyrantlizardrex Oct 13, 2017

I'll be honest, I'm not interested in this Daytona, or any Daytona... they're just not my thing... but if the treehouse came with the watch... TAKE MY MONEY. ;)

sdre likes this.
  14. NT931 Oct 13, 2017

But if the treehouse came with the PN, and the PN had problems, why this could turn out to be a...

Treehouse_of_Horror_series_DVD.jpg

15. 2ar2c1 Oct 13, 2017

stopped by the Philips auction preview today and tried on the pn, a very cool watch with a ton of history to it. Should go for much higher than the 1 mill they say.
    also saw the radial dial speedy, more my speed than the daytona. liked it a lot.

here's a pic by my son:

IMG_4699 (1).jpg
    Edited Oct 15, 2017
    Jwit and gminnj like this.
  16. robrom Oct 18, 2017

The photo you have shown has the ink missing from 110-120 or at least very faded.

The photo from Philips clearly shows the ink is still very much there and strong.

Is someone telling fibs?

Also I didn't think that anyone could go in and see the watch let alone try it on. I was under the impression this was going to be a ticketed auction - this part I could be wrong but your photo does not add up..

17. tyrantlizardrex Oct 18, 2017

I tried it on in London... you just have to ask nicely. :whistling:

18. robrom Oct 18, 2017

I'll go in with a suit on and a calculator.. I'll look the auctioneers dead in the eye.. key in a load of random numbers on the calculator.. slide it across their desk (if no desk then along the floor) raise an eyebrow just slightly so they know I'm serious and then fall to the floor begging to just see it or even to just be in the same room.
    If that doesn't work I'll walk away and just as I get to the door I'll look over my shoulder and say "keep the calculator" so they know that I have so much money I can afford to leave the Casio ef10 and that they have indeed lost out as I could have been a potential bidder.. yehhhh

::yawn:: I think I need sleep I have no idea why I wrote down this thought I just played out in my head

Jwit, McKinley, chows99 and 3 others like this.
  19. tyrantlizardrex Oct 18, 2017

Er... what?

20. robrom Oct 18, 2017

Honestly.. I have no answer.

I starting writing crap and got more in to it than I thought I would. It was a thought for my head.. not here

Apologies