Forums Latest Members

Perspectives on the Vacheron "Overseas" 222 (predecessor to the overseas).

1. pech01 Oct 21, 2021

Hi all, as many of you I really do like the overseas, but being into vintage-watches, I’m literally falling in love with the 222 anniversary in jumbo-size, the ref. 44018. Especially the gold version with a grey dial.

It’s super rare (only approx 700 ever produced - across all metals) and price wise it seems rather low-priced compared to the two others of the “holy trinity”, the Patek 3700 and AP 5402.

I've never had one in my hands. Any owners around - experiences? Are you as exited as I am, or?

A few of them is for sale in the coming auction season:

- Dr. Crott: Vacheron & Constantin - a lot from our watch auction (uhren-muser.de)
    - Philips: Vacheron Constantin - The Geneva Watch Auc... November 2021 | Phillips
    - Christies: VACHERON CONSTANTIN. A RARE STAINLESS STEEL AUTOMATIC WRISTWATCH WITH DATE, BRACELET, CERTIFICATE AND BOX (christies.com)
    - Christies: VACHERON CONSTANTIN. A RARE STAINLESS STEEL AUTOMATIC WRISTWATCH WITH DATE, BRACELET, CERTIFICATE AND BOX (christies.com)

2. Evitzee Oct 21, 2021

The 222 (it was never known as 'Overseas') was VC's attempt to compete with the Royal Oak and Nautilus, but VC was not as well known 40+ years ago and the line didn't do very well, which is why you don't see many of them. It had the same movement as the RO and Nautilus. If you like it there is nothing wrong with acquiring one, but plan on an overhaul of the movement. Being a thin movement with a hanging barrel means maintenance is not particularly cheap, probably $1,500+ if done by VC. And if the bracelet needs work due to stretching that will cost more money.

3. timoss Oct 21, 2021

To me the bracelet overwhelms the head a bit on this iteration. Later ones feel a bit better proportioned. That said, I certainly wouldn't say no to one.

4. Vacheron222 Nov 21, 2021

I am a big fan of the Vacheron 222 Jumbo – I own two of them! Fortunately, I bought them years ago.

The 222 is a beautiful watch but it does have its issues. I wore my stainless 222 as a daily wear watch on and off for a couple of years, so I learned first-hand.

First, the watch is indeed expensive to service, and it’s a temperamental movement, so expect to have it serviced often.

My first overhaul cost me $270 in 2003. My most recent service cost $3,250. And it must be done by Vacheron; no one else can get the parts, not that I would trust the watch to an independent anyway. For the past ten year Vacheron has been sending the watches to Switzerland for service and it has been taking 12 to 14 months to get them back. However, my most recent service was done in Texas and it only took four months, so maybe something has changed for the better.

Next, the case and bracelet have a brushed finish which scratches easily. In general, I don’t mind some scratches on my daily wear watches, a little patina is inevitable, but it doesn’t look good on these. So handle with care.

On a side note, if you do buy a 222 and send it to Vacheron for service, think twice before you let them refinish the watch, which they do for “free” as part of the overhaul. I let them do it once a while back and they completely butchered the watch. (When I saw what they did I wanted to cry.) Vacheron did step up and make things right. They sent the case to a professional case restorer and the watch came back looking good. But since that day, I don’t let them polish any of my watches.

Lastly, the case is not particularly waterproof. I once wore the watch swimming and it filled with water. It had been serviced within the year so the gaskets were still fresh. Believe me, I won’t make that mistake again!

But don’t let my griping dissuade you from buying one. It’s a great watch and I wear mine with pride. I love the proportions and design. I think it has aged extremely well. The flat movement and case make the watch comfortable wear.

Owning a 222 makes you a member of a very exclusive club.

Two 222.JPG

Tubber and Evitzee like this.
  5. Evitzee Nov 21, 2021

^^^ Good to get an actual owner's experience with these watches. There can't be many people who own two versions.