Forums Latest Members

Perlon straps, are they becoming modern again?

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 26, 2015

Mine are from 'Crown and Buckle', and I've been pleased with them so far (3-4 months).

Here's a few buckle shots:

image.jpg image.jpg

Darlinboy likes this.
  2. teamlam Sep 26, 2015

dont have personal exp with eulit but others have actually praised their buckle. what problems did you have with it?

3. marturx Sep 27, 2015

Here's the buckle on mine. Generic band for sure, since it was cheap, $2:50

The buckle looks OK to me, the pin a little loose maybe, but cannot see any apparent risk that it would fall off

image.jpeg

4. ConElPueblo Sep 27, 2015

…About to dip it?

abrod520, RawArcher and Darlinboy like this.
  5. marturx Sep 27, 2015

No, just wanted to show all of you guys how a non-Gentleman takes his morning coffee :D ::bleh::

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 27, 2015

Buckle pin fell off after wearing about half a dozen times. On two different straps.

That one looks pretty decent. Is the buckle sewn in?

Edited Sep 27, 2015
  7. Ludi Sep 27, 2015

Cheap Perlon, cheap watch

image.jpeg

I'm more a nato strap guy though, much versatile, comfy and aesthetic from my own point of view

Spacefruit and marturx like this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 27, 2015

Yes. $10.50. And except for the wilder colors, they are mostly out of stock (C&B).

@marturx where did you buy yours?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2015

Gotcha - I was assuming it would be a 2 piece strap. I have a couple of Perlon NATO straps and just ordered some regular Perlon straps from cheapestnatopstraps, so I'll see what those are like with regards to the buckle quality. I want one for my PAM 104 so with the weight of that watch it will be a test of the buckle for sure.

In addition to putting a sticker on the back of the watch, washing that strap now and then wouldn't hurt either, eh? ;)

I throw my nylon NATO's in the wash every so often so the same could be done with Perlon without issue I suspect...

Cheers, Al

marturx likes this.
  10. marturx Sep 27, 2015

dougiedude likes this.
  11. teamlam Sep 27, 2015

are you guys finding the perlon themselves cause the scratches on the case back? or perlon + dirt or vigorous activity causes these case back scratches?

12. marturx Sep 27, 2015

My theory is that it's some kind of chemical reaction involving sweat and the (plastic?) material the perlon-straps are made of. Not so much "dirt" maybe. People's transpiration can contain a lot of ingredients.

I have seen a lot of caseback with horrendeous damages caused by perlon-straps. Not so scratches but pitting and corrosion. Perlon-straps "eats" stainless steel. In the long run that is, but nonetheless

13. micampe Sep 27, 2015

There is a seller on eBay that has a surprising number and variety of NOS ones. The buckle is a little flimsy but I think the quality is fine. They are expensive just for the fact of being NOS. I believe they are true NOS, I have no idea how they have so many. I only have the one, can't compare to others directly, but I think they look slightly nicer than others you see around and they have nicer colors and patterns, more “period correct”.

image.jpg

marturx likes this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2015

So Perlon is just braided nylon, does it feel better on your skin than normal nylon NATO?

15. micampe Sep 27, 2015

It's stiffer and rougher. I don't think it feels better than NATO straps.

I personally don't like how NATOs look and wear, I prefer these braided ones, less bulky, like an even thinner RAF strap.

And I think they work as more casual and less sporty than NATO. I would never put a NATO on that Seamaster but I think this one works.

16. gophishin Sep 27, 2015

I personally do not think so. The material looks soft in the pictures, but it has the waxed or singed edges which I think feel rougher than regular nylon NATO's. I don't think they're uncomfortable per say, but I prefer a standard nylon NATO. (Mine is from C&B for reference)

17. teamlam Sep 27, 2015

Hmmmmm. I'll have to keep an eye on this then. Omega NATO'S do this too??!! I sure hope not for the price on them..

18. devnull Sep 27, 2015

Perlon is a polymer developed to reproduce the properties of nylon without violating the patent on its production. It behaves and looks like nylon but it has a cooler name, which is what really counts ;)

19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Sep 28, 2015

Nylon is inert, and will not chemically react. Any increase in wear on a caseback would have to be from its physical properties. Sweat and dirt probably hangs around longer instead of being absorbed such as with leather or cotton; that would account for greater/different wear.

20. teamlam Sep 28, 2015

But if you're not wearing the NATO in rugged areas and only to work it shouldn't damage the case back with normal wear.