Forums Latest Members
  1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 24, 2015

So I'd come to the conclusion that, while I do indeed like the vintage (in my case Watchco) Seamaster 300 on a bracelet, it really works very well for me on a black strap.

The hunt is on!

Tried the Hirsch Leonardo Medici. Big fat bulky doesn't fit well, forget it.

Tried various straps with the deployant clasp. Some of them weren't bad but they just didn't seem right with the Seamaster 300, so pin buckle it is.

Waterproof watch deserves a waterproof strap, so I got a vintage Tropic... well, a strap that looks like a Tropic but isn't being sold for $250 and up. Eh. Tapering down to 16mm just didn't do it.

Couple other waterproof in leather, not all that great, either.

There is one strap I got from IW Suisse, sort of a "rally" strap in silicone... that wasn't bad!

Other dive straps were either too big or too funky looking.

Came back to the Tropic. There is some history; at least in France, the only advertisement so far that shows it, the Seamaster 300 was supplied by Omega with the Tropic. Put it back on, hmm... not so bad.

Then I remembered.

http://www.ofrei.com/page1631.html

Tropic-styled strap but tapers to 18mm. Toss away that ugly buckle, replace with Omega buckle, tada!

Ordered today. Thread will be updated when it arrives and I can get a decent picture.

Anyone need 20mm waterproof straps? :)

Tom

VictorAlpha likes this.
  2. VictorAlpha Jun 28, 2015

Please remember to update once you've received your strap. I'd like to hear your impressions on overall quality, feel and the size of the spring bar holes please ( can they take up to 2mm bars easily?). The isofrane is a great strap but I sometimes think that its a bit oversize and overwhelming for the vintage style SM300 watch head.

Agreed on the tapering issue. As long as the rubber is good quality it'll make a nice alternative period style strap for the SM300.

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 28, 2015

The strap isn't bad, per se. It's stiffer than the vintage strap and the holes, a 1.8mm bar is more appropriate than the 2mm bar. It's ok for the price but I like the vintage strap better.

Otto Frei also has some 20/16 leather straps that may be like how this watch was sold in the 60s when a person did not choose a bracelet. Price is not bad, either, $106 for the flat strap. Going to try that out and see how I like it.

Tom

VictorAlpha likes this.
  4. VictorAlpha Jun 28, 2015

Thanks, good luck with the leather. :thumbsup:

5. watchlovr Jun 29, 2015

I just think the Swiss vintage rubber Tropics suit all 60/70's sports watches better than anything, apart from maybe an original bracelet.

I mean all brands too, Rolex, Omega, Blancpain ...........

VictorAlpha and lenny like this.
  6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jun 29, 2015

VictorAlpha likes this.
  7. cell1010 Jun 29, 2015

The original tropic straps have gained some attention the last two or three years. I think they look cool, but I prefer to wear leather. It feels more comfortable imo.

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 29, 2015

9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jun 29, 2015

Pretend it's waterproof leather!

Tom

10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jun 29, 2015

Oh, I messed up. I deleted my comment and there it is again! My answer was to cell1010.

Tom - I do not remember what mine cost - but I described it at the time as "dirt cheap".