Forums Latest Members

People who buy Rolexs and don't wear them.

1. Sidrox25 Aug 12, 2017

Pretty self explanatory title. I've met a few people recently who own a Rolex, but never really wear it. Why buy it if you're just going to let it sit in the drawer? Is this a common thing out there?

2. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2017

" SAFE QUEENS "....

I have seen it in action over the years...

Kind of sad... reminds me of TOY STORY and " MINT IN BOX"....

hahahaha
    bill

3. Pun Aug 12, 2017

Idk. I wear it as often as I can in rotation with others. But definitely if I'm on vacation or going to tough places. I know many who wear their Rolex daily. Yes normally they do wear is my experience.

NiceWatchMr likes this.
  4. Sidrox25 Aug 12, 2017

Expensive paper weight then...shame...

PaulC77 likes this.
  5. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 12, 2017

I know someone has a day date. Solid gold and diamonds and all. Never wears it. Afraid it looks too ostentatious now and instead wears the Apple Watch ::facepalm1::

Not sure the thinking of buying a solid gold Rolex then thinking it's too showy or might make you a target after the fact.

6. Madjam1966 Aug 13, 2017

I know someone who bought a Sea Dweller purely as an investment. Worn once. Hidden away.

Would be interesting to see in, say, 30 years' time, the value of a mint, unworn one is compared to one that is worn regularly and cleaned/serviced?

albertob, Watchmutt and marco like this.
  7. BruceTheManLee Aug 13, 2017

I disagree with that comment, at least with the people that I know who own Rolexes

For me personally, I wear all my Rolexes in daily weekday rotation with my Omega Speedmaster and Tudor Black Bay as weekend warriors

It'd be a shame not to wear these babies :)

IMG_4317.jpg FUJI0918.jpg IMG_1319.JPG

8. Sidrox25 Aug 13, 2017

Nice collection! How often do you wear all of your pieces? Do they see equal wrist time?

9. BruceTheManLee Aug 13, 2017

Thanks!

The Rolexes are usually part of a work rotation during the weekday and depending on the event I may switch it up with a different Rolex at night after work (I live in New York so going out after work is almost a 4 night a week affair). Speedy and Tudor on weekend.

Equal wrist time? Not sure but I would say most wrist time leans towards my Daytona and BLNR, for the past few months

10. ac106 Aug 13, 2017

You disagree that the OP has met people who don't don't wear their rolex watches?

I mean are you calling him a big fibber?

Simmy likes this.
  11. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 13, 2017

I took @BruceTheManLee 's comment as referring to the statement that the title is self explanatory.

It seems self evident some folk wear Rolexs they own and some do not. Unless someone can produce a valid survey (who knows why you'd want to) as to how many people actually wear versus don't wear a particular watch, it's all anecdotal evidence based on our own knowledge.

Unless you are married or in a LTR and then it's guaranteed the one will want to keep them protected and pristine and the other wants to take the solid gold submariner out diving. :D

Edited for grammar.

gdupree and blufinz52 like this.
  12. BruceTheManLee Aug 13, 2017

Exactly! The self explanatory title :)

13. Sidrox25 Aug 13, 2017

Nice I'm in NYC as well. I wear my Z-Blue every now and then but I think the Speedy gets the most wrist time out of all of them. I own 6 watches and I feel I'm at the border of owning too many for wrist time. Glad you let all of them get some wear. I always loved that BLNR, but wish it came without PCLs. IMHO it would make it the perfect watch then.

Flatfoot likes this.
  14. omitohud Aug 13, 2017

What's wrong with not wearing ur watches? I collect vintage Rolex. I would wear them occasionally to make sure they r working fine. But the majority of the time my watches r in the safe. Say what u want, but I don't see a point of wearing a 50 or 60 yr old watches when u can wear all the modern ones. There aren't that many who knows what a drsd or a Bart gilt dial sub anyway unless u r a fellow collector. Not to mention those vintage parts could cost u an arm or a leg. If I crack my T19, I don't know where or when to find a genuine replacement. I buy new watches to wear and I collect vintage watches for my own personal enjoyment. Thanks 4 letting me vent. [emoji12]✌️

15. Canuck Aug 13, 2017

Of my 8 Rolex watches, I only wear two of them. The rest are simply too old (1915 to 1951) to wear regularly.

16. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Aug 13, 2017

The same people who buy Omegas and don't wear them.

kkt, George.A, IanS and 6 others like this.
  17. herold Aug 14, 2017

Its called collecting ;)...

And maybe in some cases investing...

18. watchestelltime Aug 14, 2017

Beauties..

19. CPRwatch Aug 14, 2017

I have a number of Rolex & Rotate as and when the mood takes , simple as .

Rolex trio.jpg

20. BruceTheManLee Aug 14, 2017

Yeah it be nice to have many Rolex sport models have brushed instead of polished. And it would be good to have glidelock clasp on all. Easylink is ok but can't beat glidelock :)

Eve likes this.