Forums Latest Members

PayPal to pay $25 million in refunds, fines ...

1. JohnSteed May 19, 2015

Buck2466 likes this.
  2. lenny May 19, 2015

I guess, for once, PayPal lost a dispute :).

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  3. peatnick May 19, 2015

Happened to me, sent a nominal amount to my son in college, had a PP balance and was used to that being the default payment with my CC as back up

End of the month comes and I had a bill in PP credit I never even knew existed. After 2-3 calls and 3-4 reps was finally able to get it sorted

PP is not my favorite . . .

4. afinewatch May 24, 2015

and some wonder why I do not want to accept PayPal payments...

5. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! May 24, 2015

Besides this, which never happened to me and I'm a heavy PayPal user...what is your beef with PayPal?
    Its a great, safe and instant way to send and receive money. I avoid sellers who shun this form of payment...its usually a red flag.

Ive been using it since the beginning and have never had a single issue...literally thousands of transactions.

6. ulackfocus May 24, 2015

I've had issues with PP in the last week or so, and am seriously considering canceling my PP MC and PP account.

7. afinewatch May 24, 2015

My beef is that they almost caused me to lose over $5000 and much aggravation.
    Just try to get an expensive item from a buyer in another state after they received their money taken by force from your account before even returning the item!!!
    You can read plenty of horror stories on the Internet of sellers losing big money due to friendly fraud perpetrated by buyers paying by PayPal.

8. afinewatch May 24, 2015

and what is so great about giving them 3% commission?? On a $10,000 watch that is $300 when a wire transfer can be had for $40 split among a buyer and seller.

Edited May 24, 2015
  9. wsfarrell May 24, 2015

Not a huge fan of PayPal, but they will get your money back if you pay for something and don't receive it. Wire transfers may be cheap, but they're completely irreversible.

10. afinewatch May 24, 2015

Do you know what is required to open a business bank account in the U.S. ?
    How many businesses in existence of 15 years and above just wait to take your money and run?
    Let's be real, this paranoia about only trusting PayPal or a credit card payment is laughable.
    You end up paying a lot for that fear.
    Try to put an ad in your local craigslist and list a Rolex or another expensive watch.
    See how many e-mails you will receive from " buyer" who want to use PayPal to pay for
    the purchase... Why do you think that choose this route? Because they know they can defraud you
    and you will be powerless to get the money back from PayPal.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 24, 2015

You can be a hater all you want, but PayPal is really the only way to transfer funds from point A to point B at a nominal cost for the non-business user. Allows the average Joe (or Jose or Johann) to accept credit cards without setting up a merchant account anywhere in the world.

The rules that they have for sellers are quite similar to those of most reputable credit card companies. Now if you don't want to take PayPal or credit cards, that is perfectly acceptable, but a seller better have bullet proof references before I'd send them a cash wire transfer that I had no chance of ever recovering.

Are there bad buyers out there, sure. There are also bad checks and fraudulent wire transfers, too. That's why credit cards work, but they cost about the same as PayPal.

You have to know your buyer, just like I have to know the seller. Otherwise, stick to face-to-face transactions only. Or only do business with friends. As a buyer, I'm not comfortable giving my account number to someone on the other side of the world, whom I don't really know. At least with PayPal, they take my information, charge my account, and you don't need to know what you don't need to know.

I'm not understanding the big deal with the settlement. I must have done hundreds of PayPal/eBay transactions and gently declined the "Bill Me Later" option every time. Not that difficult, never had a problem with them.

So I highly doubt that I will be receiving a payment from PayPal,
    gatorcpa

12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! May 24, 2015

One word- Credit Cards...ok two words.

With PayPal, I can use a cc and earn miles and defer payment for 30 days and gain added protection. Im a buyer not a seller.
    Sellers need to consider the buyer...what would happen if your local watch retailer said cash or wire transfers only?
    They would go out of business.

PayPal is the safest method of transferring funds period.

13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! May 24, 2015

Ditto...I never had an issue either. Ive seen the option, but it was never forced on me.

14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! May 24, 2015

sometimes common sense is your friend. I have never had one single issue with fraud. But I would never accept PayPal when selling on Craigslist...its pretty much understood its a cash venue---and selling expensive watches on Craigslist is asking for trouble.

15. marturx May 24, 2015

I have promised myself never again to accept a PayPal payment exceeding 1000 USD. Buyers who won't accept that will have to buy elsewhere

16. mosfetaus May 24, 2015

I love PP, and I've been protected from dodgy sellers quite a few times. As for their fee, it's nothing compared to eBay. Here in Australia, EB charges an outrageous 10% selling fee, capped at $250. That's $250 to sell a $3000 watch! 10% is outrageously unacceptable if you ask me.

17. JohnSteed May 24, 2015

Why?

18. JohnSteed May 24, 2015

There are no transaction fees her on OF.net :rolleyes:

19. JohnSteed May 24, 2015

So there are at least a couple issues in this thread, good talk

Caveat Emptor. Buyer (amongst other things) needs to read PayPal statements, well, religiously, to try to keep abreast of any shenanigans ....

We can't get away from transaction fees. But there's a somewhat safe middle ground for ppl of goodwill to complete a transaction ... I would think.

CajunTiger likes this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 24, 2015

I think we are confusing PayPal and eBay policies. That shouldn't be as bad once the two companies separate.

gatorcpa

Drawarms likes this.