Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 1, 2013

Respectable Members

A close-friend of mine, an ardent collector of Omega vintage-watches, has asked me to visit this forum.

Link removed so we're not sending sites like this extra traffic. --Trev

It must be an interesting platform. Otherwise, he would not have asked me to read it. Apparently, this forum has 10 000 000 visitors and counting!

Thank-you.

2. MyVintageOmega Feb 1, 2013

After reading some of the page, it's fair to say that paypal is not without its growing pains. There seems to be plenty of areas where it can improve itself. Regardless....thanks for the post. I shall revisit the page for some more good reads, now that the link is here! :thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus Feb 1, 2013

It's no secret I've had my issues with eBay & Paypal, especially now that they're in cahoots.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 1, 2013

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I agree, 'it's fair to say that PayPal is not without without its growing pains' but after reading some of the posts in that PayPal sucks forum, I think PayPal is going over the top, taking advantage of their vulnerable customers.

What I can gather, if given the choice to use an alternative, eBayers would rather buy and sell, using another method to meet their obligations.

Perhaps, PayPal is trying to act like a bank but in actual fact it is only a 'middle-man', fully supported by eBay. Generally and probably, the unscrupulous 'middle-men' are wolves in a sheep's clothing.

Thank-you.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 1, 2013

Respectable Member ulackfocus

After reading several of the posts in the PayPal Sucks Forum, I decided to register, so that I will be able to participate in that forum. Unfortunately, this is shown:

Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

I have friends whose account has been frozen by PayPal, over the slightest complaint brought about by a buyer. It appears, this is a common practice, adopted by PayPal. There is good money to be made from the frozen loot, probably.

I am not surprised, you have had issues with eBay and PayPal. You are not alone, respectable member.

Good luck to PayPal users.

Thank-you.

6. porschefan Feb 1, 2013

I've always avoided PayPal as much as I can. I've often not bought something from an internet store if their only form of payment is "the pal."

7. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 2, 2013

Respectable Member porschefan

I think you have made a wise decision, since you have an alternative. What about those who use eBay to buy and sell? Indirectly, they are compelled to use PayPal.

Thank-you.

[​IMG]

Random Credit Check = $5000 Frozen
    Fri Feb 01 2013
    Today without warning Paypal "closed" my account with $5,772.91 dollars in it. They say on the website and in several calls I made to them that they will not release the money due to a routine credit scan they made and didn't like what they read in my equifax credit report.

What closed means by their definition is I can't take the money out and I earn no interest on the money for 6 months. Almost 2 months have gone by since this happened and this is still the situation. They say when I signed up for Paypal I signed a standard agreement that says they can freeze the money in my account any time they want to. I strongly suspect they are earning interest on the money and, in effect, this is a scam on their part to make millions of dollars. I have 100% positive feedback as a seller on eBay (which owns paypal) and I've sold over 100 items. I have a feedback score of 86 with many of these being repeat business that doesn't cause the feedback number to increase. The money was frozen from an auction in which all the winning bidders gave me positive feedback except for one non-paying bidder in Italy who never sent the money despite repeated emails so, of course, I never sent him the item. (The amount of the non-paying bidder is $500.00 --- but since he never sent any money by Paypal or any other means I fail to see how this could play a roll in the "closed" account).

Periodic non-paying bidders are, unfortunately, a fact of life on eBay --- fortunately a rare one in my experience. The other eight winning auctions of the "freeze" auction all gave me not just positive but glowing feedbacks saying they both received the items I sent them and were extremely happy with them. Without the money from PayPal there is a very good chance I will lose my family home as well as my mother's home we are attempting to bring up to code. I, my wife, and two sons have lived in our family home for around 18 years. My mother, before she was institutionalized lived in her house (with my father, me and my sister in the earlier days) for around 50 years. We were planning on renting out my mother's house to help pay for the expenses of her staying at Alzheimer Gated communities which charge $3,500.00 a month and more.

Ironically, before this happened, I was a big fan of Paypal..

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

Edited out the last link just because I don't know that other payment processor enough to warrant vouching for them

Trev likes this.
  9. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 2, 2013

Respectable Member dsio

Sorry, I do not understand but it is all right for you to edit it.

Thank-you.

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

Dsio is spot on. The "Paypal Sucks" forum is promoting alternative payment services that look way more dodgy than Paypal.
    [​IMG]

11. Littleroger Feb 2, 2013

As with other payment systems, Paypal is safe and easy if used fairly by all parties. The problem is, and this is not understood by many, that PayPal does not offer a super-duper safety net for buyer and seller. It is open to massive abuse. The net is awash with examples, including and particularly watch sales. I have also been burnt, though only for a few euros.
    If you know the seller/buyer, fine. If not, there is a risk.

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

Seamonster,

After having skimming through the Paypal sucks site, we've decided they shouldn't be getting free traffic and publicity from ΩF.

I found several offers they're pushing, like this. I don't know why they're collecting email addresses and details, but it all seems greasy.
    [​IMG]

Their site is a complete mess, and I simply don't trust it. There's plenty of legit Paypal horror stories out there, but so many of the ones on that site follow very similar formatting, from users with 1 or 2 posts (who rarely return or even follow-up).

Anyone who wants to find the site will easily be able too. Any discussion will (of course) remain open, we're just not giving them the free link-juice.

Thanks for your understanding.

13. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 2, 2013

Respectable Member Trev

It is all right for you to delete the link, if you think it is not appropriate.

The link was given to me, when my friend and I were discussing about buying and selling vintage-watches, over the net. I was surprised when he told me, he would never transact with a concern or two, since legal robbery is something he could not tolerate. He would rather buy and sell with a reputable local brick and mortar dealer or a respectable on-line dealer. He then informed me about unjust incidents, some of his friends had experienced, while trading casually on-line. He reiterated, unfortunately David will be trampled and eaten alive, in this modern world.

Thank-you.

14. ulackfocus Feb 2, 2013

[​IMG]

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

I'm sorry guys, but this is where I need to step in and defend PayPal. I've read some of the posts on the site referenced here and while I feel for the people who have their accounts frozen, I'm not sure if they weren't trying to use the site to do more than what it was designed to do.

As a buyer of items, PayPal certainly makes international transactions a lot easier. They have pretty good exchange rates, certainly better than any bank with which I do business. I understand the issues from the sellers' point of view. The only thing I can say is that PayPal is probably the best of a sorry lot when it comes to internet based money transfers. Most of the ones I see charge rather large fees to both sides of the transaction, then add on for the use of a credit card.

BTW, unless I know a seller very well, I don't do any purchases using PayPal's "gift" feature. If a seller insists on it, I walk away. If there is a problem, I'll go through my credit card company, not PayPal, even if it's an eBay deal.

I've learned this one the hard way,
    gatorcpa

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

Agree. Paypal has to be seen in context, and in that context the only alternative is usually bank wire. That's nice if you are the seller, but less so if you're the buyer.

17. jbibz Feb 2, 2013

Paypal does not have a perfect record and has used some dubious tactics to withhold sellers funds in the past, but as mentioned above it does supply in general a pretty good service, especially for buyers and international exchange rates. The one thing I can never understand though is why some sellers leave so much money in their account, there is no need for it at all. Paypal is not a bank and so is not regulated like other financial bodies so why take the risk, however small of having your account frozen with large sums of money in it. The best way to run a Paypal acc if you really want to be safe is always withdraw funds back to a bank account and then move the money again to an acc Paypal has no access to. Nowdays with online banking it is only a couple of clicks so there should be no excuse for losing a lot of money in the event of a dispute with Paypal. The reputation of Paypal has improved a lot and as mentioned above I think there is a lot more than meets the eye to a lot of these so called horror stories, but if you want, it is possible to take precautions.
    Regards Peter

18. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 3, 2013

Respectable Member gatorcpa

What you said is correct.

I met a friend, who has suffered some inconvenience, when using PayPal recently. After listening to his story, I support your opinion of eBay and PayPal.

This friend listed his watch for auction on eBay. It was sold to a high-bidder overseas, during the recent festive season. The buyer paid him, via PayPal. After taking his watch out from the bank safe-deposit box, he wanted to make sure the watch is working, in the manner he described it, in his listing. He brought it to his watchmaker's service station. Unfortunately, other junior watchmakers were present, while his personal watchmaker, one who is the most senior, came to work late because he was still on vacation.

My friend informed the buyer of the situation and despite three emails, within a span of one week, the buyer did not respond. Finally, the buyer came back, asking for his watch to be shipped. My friend explained the cause of the delay, suggesting to the buyer that he either wait for the watch to be inspected by his watchmaker or if he so wished, cancel the transaction. The buyer insisted that the watch be shipped, immediately. My friend refused to send it, since by then his senior watchmaker contacted him and said, there was something wrong with the date mechanism and it would take some while, to get it fixed.

After learning about the fault of his watch, this seller did not want to send to the buyer a watch that is not performing 100%, worried that the buyer would return the watch to him. Consequently, both parties would then lose on the shipping charges to and fro.

The buyer came back and threatened to give him a negative feed-back and alleged that my friend was attempting to defraud him. Immediately after the threat, my friend opened a case with eBay to cancel the transaction and refund the buyer's payment, explaining to eBay and the seller the reason, as to why the watch was not shipped. The buyer did not respond to the request that the transaction be cancelled, amicably.

Immediately after, the buyer opened a case, alleging that my friend did not refund his payment and was at the same time, trying to defraud him. PayPal then limited my friend's account and asked for all the invoices or receipts and proof of delivery, for the last past six or seven transactions, over eBay. The complainant was fully refunded by PayPal. Presumably, the buyer's complaint was being investigated by PayPal. While the investigation was on my friend's PayPal account was frozen.

In this instance, eBay and PayPal are not to be blamed, for causing the inconvenience to my friend. The investigation is triggered by an unreasonable buyer with a brain, smaller than a donkey's.

Thank-you.

19. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 3, 2013

So... If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the watch was listed on Ebay before the seller had even inspected it? How did he take photos of it for the listing?

Sure doesn't sound like a seller I'd want to be dealing with. I can sympathise far more with the buyer in this case.

Archer likes this.
  20. pascs Feb 3, 2013

I've used Paypal probably more than 200 times to pay for purchases through ebay and online and I've never had any issues with them. I never keep funds in my Paypal account because I seldom sell anything :whistling: