Forums Latest Members
  1. VintageNoble Sep 4, 2017

Hi guys,

I have an Omega Speedmaster MK40 that i was thinking of selling when some guy approached me through Instagram. Since I don't know him in person and I have never sold a watch before I am seeking for some advice. He proposed a price including shipping costs + PayPal fees. What is the main steps that I have to follow so I won't get played in the end? Many different scenarios go through my mind ::confused2:: Any suggestions ?

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 4, 2017

The safest is friends and family or wire transfer before you ship. Looking from his POV he's protecting himself and proposing a square deal IMO. The danger however is that he plays games with his credit card after reciept. I'd call PP just to explore options with them. They will favor the buyer in a dispute. Suggest you arrange a call with the buyer if you are nervous.

gemini4 likes this.
  3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 4, 2017

Escrow.com

4. sxl2004 Sep 4, 2017

Ship to a verified address only. That way the basic seller protection is covered.

5. VintageNoble Sep 4, 2017

What do you mean by verified address ? Is this the address that he declares in his account? What is also the basic seller protection? Sorry for the many questions, but you are talking to a completely PayPal noob ::facepalm2::

6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 4, 2017

Friends and Family is not safe BTW

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 4, 2017

Wire Transfer is the only safe method if you don't know the buyer.

8. abrod520 Sep 4, 2017

You can also ask for references from previous transactions, and follow up. If he's done business with other popular Instagram users who can vouch for him, you can get a better sense of who you're dealing with.

9. Davidt Sep 4, 2017

If paid via credit card, PayPal friends and family or gift can still be reversed and there is no buyer or seller protection.

10. sxl2004 Sep 4, 2017

PP has a system to link physical addresses to accounts. If you do not ship to a verified address, PP will not help you in case of a scam. So always ship to a buyer with a verified address and to that address.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 4, 2017

Verified PP address is the one which says shipping address on the payment when you view the transaction. Best to do this by logging into your PP account. Shipping to a different address voids your seller protection.

12. VintageNoble Sep 4, 2017

Thank you so much! I will get back to you if I have any questions. You've been really helpful :)

13. jfmiii Sep 4, 2017

Wire Transfer is really the only way a seller has protection. I prefer Paypal as a buyer for obvious reasons but when selling only use a Wire Transfer unless it is a super reliable buyer. Ive read too many horror stories on here and elsewhere to use Paypal when selling. And anything over $10k should probably done in person if it is collector to collector, if possible. If someone can afford a $10k, they can afford a $300 or $400 plane ticket and that will get you pretty much anywhere in the continental US.

bristnj and sxl2004 like this.
  14. Suburban Diver Sep 6, 2017

Excuse my ignorance, but what about shipping with insurance and signature only? Does that help the seller at all or are there still ways around that?

15. panaitchrono Sep 7, 2017

Bank transfer..the safest method for you. At PayPal if the buyer tell that he received a wrong or fake watch it will be a long dispute which you can loose. They will ask for your proof of ownership after you have sent the watch an it's obvious that you'll don't have that anymore..:)
    it happen to me in the past...

16. Mozziebite Sep 7, 2017

Do it via eBay and PayPal.

albertob likes this.
  17. harrymai86 Sep 7, 2017

or post it for sales here, only sale to established member ^^

VintageNoble likes this.
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 7, 2017

Not sure how wire transfer is safer than other transfer methods. I have seen them reversed and the seller is left with no watch and no money.

Safest method is a face-to-face at a police station. Some cities have areas set up inside the station for transactions.

Anything else has some element of risk.

Bottom line is know your buyer.
    gatorcpa

VintageNoble, jaspers and albertob like this.
  19. jimmyd13 Sep 7, 2017

Exactly this. I hate to be the one to say this but there is no 100% verifiable online payment system, and that includes bank transfers (which can be fraudulent). This is the reason that so much faith is placed in feedback and recommendations. The bottom line is that you have to buy the buyer and he needs to be sure of you.

Frankly, whenever I've been approached about a watch that I haven't explicitly offered for sale, alarm bells ring.

20. khanmu Sep 7, 2017

My preference order for payment methods is:

- Cash on meeting at a safe location (usually a bank so I can pay it straight in) - I never do collection at home.

- wire/ bank transfer - but allow enough time to make sure it has properly cleared and so that you can see which bank account it has come from. At least in the UK, once it has properly cleared it cannot just be reversed and is actually difficult to get it reversed.

- PayPal - but to benefit from seller protection it has to go to a Paypal verified addressed (i.e. one the buyer has registered with PayPal) and make sure you send it insured, tracked and signed for. Also I would do it properly and send them an invoice via PayPal for goods. It's worth the small fee you pay- there's very little PayPal will do to help you if a Friends & Family deal goes wrong - after all it's only designed for sending money between F&F, and that's NOT what you are doing here.

Finally as has been said, consider a sale here - they are (mostly) the finest, most upstanding bunch of watch nuts you'll ever meet...