PAUL PORTINOUX 17J cal. AS1700 Automatic Dress Watch SS

Pictured is a Paul Portinoux all stainless steel automatic dress watch on a solid stainless steel custom fit bracelet. This timepiece contains an attractive A. Schild caliber 1700 automatic “no-date” movement. This copper-plated unadjusted engine is signed on the rotor as being 17 jewels and from the Paul Portinoux Watch Co. The movement has been tested on the Timegrapher in the “dial up” position and delivers +6-8 seconds per day; a balance wheel amplitude at full wind of 238 degrees; and a beat error of 1.3 milliseconds. This model of movement was used by many watch manufacturers for at least a decade---late 50’s mid 60’s, is straight-forward to service, and parts are plentiful. A. Schild was eventually swallowed up by what is now known as the Swatch consortium.
The Fresnel-style dial of this watch is very clean, is a silver sunburst with just a slightly champagne tinge, and has applied triple pyramid markers at the cardinal points. It includes a slim angled outer track with fine minute graduations. Under magnification the acrylic crystal appears to be original, has numerous superficial marks, and does not look to have been polished.
Paul Portinoux watches are not an everyday name, and there are only ever a handful of them available at one time. What is obvious from the examples that I have researched, is that it was generally a better build, and often with complications. This watch is signed both on the movement and on the inside case back. I have owned this one for several years, but because I have so many watches it has only been worn by me a couple of times. The watch head diameter, without the recessed crown, is a tidy 35mm. This is about the same as either vintage Omega Constellations or Rolex Datejusts.
Spec sheet:
Paul Portinoux 17j ss AS1700 auto No Date
Width w/o Crown: 34.70 mm
Length: 38.70 mm w/lugs
Depth: 4.95 mm wo/crystal, 9.90 mm w/crystal
Lug Width: 17.45 mm
Crystal: 31.95Dia mm, in watch. Domed acrylic
Crown: 4.40Dia mm, not signed
Inside case back inscription; Paul Portinoux Watch Co; Swiss Made
Engraving on outside case back: Water & Condensation Proof; All Stainless Steel Case; 83033
Movement: A. Schild 17 jewel unadjusted cal. AS1700 Automatic, copper plated; 18000 bph
Engraving on Movement: On rotor: Paul Portinoux Watch Co; Seventeen 17 Jewels; AS 1700 with Schild Logo; Import code on balance bridge: XMX
Timegrapher 1900 readings in dial up position: +6-8 seconds a day; 238 degrees of amplitude; 1.3 milliseconds of beat error; 52 degrees lift angle

Notes: Attractive case with very short straight lugs. Near perfect dial. Unserviced and unpolished. Seals not replaced. Timegrapher readings in dial up position.
Edited:

Hi there

My Paul Portinoux chronograph, with Wakmann movement says hello (many thanks to James - @JwRosenthal who sold it to me some time ago)

20230515_073755.jpg 20230515_074507.jpg 20230515_074406.jpg 20230515_074327.jpg View attachment 1606884 20230515_073709.jpg 20230515_073341.jpg 20230515_073159.jpg
I have only seen about a half dozen PP watches, and this certainly is the nicest! It doesn't surprise me that you sourced this from Mr. Rosenthal, who I have noticed has both classic and eclectic tastes, and a wide range of interests. Do you know any of the background or history of this watch company?

I have only seen about a half dozen PP watches, and this certainly is the nicest! It doesn't surprise me that you sourced this from Mr. Rosenthal, who I have noticed has both classic and eclectic tastes, and a wide range of interests. Do you know any of the background or history of this watch company?
Not much really. I believe they were a midrange watchmaker of fairly good reputation at one point. Later on in their history they frequently used movements manufactured by others and sometimes had complete watches made on their behalf and badged as their own, as in the case of mine. That's about it I'm afraid