Forums Latest Members
  1. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 3, 2016

Always follow with fascination the discussions about what constitutes a finely aged watch vs a damaged wreck. Sometimes I just defer to the experts' opinion, as myself am not sure either way. It's all a part of a learning process, which is also very fun too!

So, h blue connie.jpg ow about this blue connie?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...Rare-Original-1972-Blue-Dial-NR-/351690322373Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. cimo Apr 3, 2016

To me, the difference between "patina" and "ruined" is the impetus for whatever change took place. Meaning, decoloration due to fading paint or aging lume I consider patina, whereas corrosion, rust, and moisture staining I consider damage. The connie above falls into the second category I'm afraid (IMHO).

EtherMan, danomar and OMGRLX like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Apr 3, 2016

And IMO, the dressier the piece, the less it takes for "patina" to ruin a piece. If a dress watch has patina, it better be both light and even. Pie pan constellations with freckles are a no-go for me, for instance. The same patina on a sturdier piece can look amazing and add to the overall look.

Optimizer13 and OMGRLX like this.
  4. Dr No Apr 3, 2016

I could wear this if it had the original (or at least correct) hands and crown and was mechanically sound. It's not beyond redemption.

Art

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. cristos71 Apr 3, 2016

For me this one is a step too far and is not patina but damage, the paint on the dial is not aged but has peeled off.

Where does patina end and damage begin is of course a discussion point in itself, but for me on a steel dress watch `patina` must be very attractive otherwise I would describe it as `damage`. On a gold dress watch then my acceptable patina level is even less so than on steel before it becomes damage. Perhaps that has something to do with the higher intrinsic value/original positioning/initial cost of a gold watch.

Here are a few golden dress watches where I found the patina level to be attractive, but on the edge of what I find acceptable.

039.JPG
    20150111_155946.jpg

053.JPG

On a vintage steel dive/sports/chrono the borders between patina and damage become somewhat more fluid and you know it when you see it.

IMHO if you have to ask then it is clearly damage!

tamura, noelekal, Giff2577 and 3 others like this.
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 3, 2016

My basic rule...

If I like it, it's patinaed ( or tropical or whatever ).

If I don't, it's damaged ( or ruined or whatever ).

Make your own rule - easier to live with than someone else's.;)

dantaspaulo, noelekal, Faz and 7 others like this.
  7. chronos Apr 3, 2016

+1! :thumbsup:

Faz and OMGRLX like this.
  8. Cortezthekiller Apr 3, 2016

I like the dial

9. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 3, 2016

My latest arrival, patina doesn't get much more patina'd that this but thats what makes it remarkable, imagine the life this watch has had and thin arrow 53's are getting rarer by the day, the ultimate military Omega for me and effectively a military issued prototype/ predecessor of the Railmaster for 1/4 the price

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0807.JPG

Giff2577, tamura, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr Bing Apr 3, 2016

Seller describes this as a dirty dial (same as his fingers) but with a starting price of 99p would it be worth a punt and is there anything that can be done with it?
    image.jpeg

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 3, 2016

Patina...Shows they've lived life perhaps some bumps and bruises but not trashed. An old watch should look like an old watch.
    IMG_2880.JPG IMG_2881.JPG