Forums Latest Members
  1. Yelfel Feb 1, 2019

Yes, this topic has been done before. But in light of the news of Patek’s potential sale and the launch of AP’s Code 1159, which of the these two watchmakers are the true king of the Trinity? Is the Trinity (Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, and Vacheron Constantin) even relevant anymore?? Respectfully, why is VC still considered? I think A Lange Sohne, JLC, or even Rolex, should replace VC.

Just some random rambling thoughts as I consider my next purchase (likely an AP Royal Oak).

Regards,
    Paul

2. zrleopold Feb 1, 2019

I'm not a fan of the concept of "the Trinity" as a group of companies that produce a superior product. I would take AL&S over any of 'em.

Having said that, Rolex is not even in a ballpark of the other companies here.

MikiJ likes this.
  3. pongster Feb 1, 2019

To qualify for trinity, the company name must be a combination of surnames of two watchmakers. Hehe.

So JLC may qualify. Rolex wont. ALS wont. It should form its own german (glashutte) trinity with GO and Union.

I like concept of trinity. The triangle is one of the most wonderful geometric shapes.

4. Evitzee Feb 1, 2019

Back in the day, say pre-1985 or so, the 'trinity' was at the top of the pyramid. Privately owned they all produced great classic timepieces. The Royal Oak, Nautilus and 222 were very niche markets. Now their are all kinds of makers producing better finished products, so the idea of a trinity is somewhat out of date. Rolex makes good watches but nowhere in the league of AP, VC, or PP as far as finishing is concerned. JLC is good, but not in the same league. ALS could be considered, but also Breguet, Journe, Jurgensen and others as well.

yako54 and ama98 like this.
  5. Interstatetime Feb 3, 2019

So...are you saying that if PP is sold that automatically their company ethos or product quality will diminish?

6. Evitzee Feb 3, 2019

I'm saying that, in my opinion, PP quality has already gone down over the last few decades as the company has become more commercial in its approach to the industry, and this has happened under the Stern ownership. I have no prediction what would happen to quality if the company was sold. Again, just my opinion whose first really good watch was a new Patek Philippe in 1979.