Forums Latest Members

Patek Philippe watch case legit?

1. Spartcom5 Dec 3, 2017

I freaked out when I saw this at a flea market, however, too good to be true there was no watch inside. Regardless I bought it for $1, now I am trying to figure out if it's real and also how old it is? I know nothing about Patek's as they are wayy out of my price range but hopefully some of you can shed some light!
    20171203_182757_resized.jpg 20171203_182809_resized.jpg

Moadib likes this.
  2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 4, 2017

As long as it's marked Swiss Made on the bottom it's a vintage Patek watch box. How'bout a scan of the bottom?
    Like all things for sale, it's worth what someone will pay for it.
    It appears to be in excellent condition so I would be looking for at least $200.US, maybe more.

3. Moadib Dec 4, 2017

Great find. Even if not genuine, it looks rather well made for being a fake, especially if an older one.

4. Professor Dec 4, 2017

If the bed lifts out look under it, you never can tell when it comes to boxes.
    A gun collector stopped when he saw an elderly lady dumping some factory pistol cartons in the trash and bought them from her. In one he found a antique Colt woodsman with factory engraving and stag horn grips. Lucky for the old lady he was an honest man.

A friend bought a antique auto pistol and was bemoaning the prices on spare magazines when he noticed a sound when putting the box away. under the cardboard inserts he found a spare magazine that no one had known was there.

5. Spartcom5 Dec 5, 2017

So there is no marking on the bottom and the bed does not lift up. However, it is made of genuine leather and other examples online don't seem to have marks on the bottom either, so I guess it's safe to say it's real? Either way it was a buck!

MikiJ likes this.
  6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 6, 2017

Genuine leather with a Patek logo on the button: Safe to say it is real :)

7. watch72 Dec 6, 2017

It is real. Mainly for Calatrava and circa 2000. So it is not really antique yet. The leather is soft very fine but can get dry and flakes over time. Get some leather protection polish over it to make it last longer.

MikiJ likes this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 6, 2017

For sure it's one of Patek's better leather boxes. I've had a"few" Pateks, but never a box this nice, only black ones.

9. Spartcom5 Dec 12, 2017

Wow thanks guys! It's quite a bit more than I originally thought. Unfortunately the leather inside although not flaking is cracked. Hairline cracks throughout, can conditioning save it? What would you guys do?

10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 13, 2017

List it for sale as is. Take good scans and be very honest about the inside leather conditions. Let the new owner deal with it however he decides is best for him.