Patek Philippe Calatrava 2551J

I recently was fortunate to obtain a Patek Philippe 2551J from 1958 with the esteemed caliber 12-600AT. It’s a beautiful watch, a good timekeeper, and a grail for me. It complements my rose gold Zenith caliber 71 from the same period.

The below pictures don’t really do the PP 2551J justice in my opinion, but I will share them nonetheless.

IMG_0125.jpegIMG_0124.jpegIMG_0126.jpegIMG_0120.jpegIMG_0119.jpegIMG_0121.jpegIMG_0122.jpegIMG_0114.jpeg

Like 3
Would you mind posting a clear straight-on photo with the hands moved?

While I would prefer not to rain on your parade, I have a few thoughts.

First, congratulations. That you are happy with the watch is the important thing. I think that it is safe to say that the 12-600AT is one of finest, and most beautiful automatic calibers ever produced.

Having said that, the case has seen some polishing, and some of the original lines have been softened, as a result. I also wonder whether the dial could be a factory replacement. I say that because the fonts on original dials that I have seen on these models appeared to a be a bit finer.

To be clear, I believe that it is a genuine PP dial, and perhaps it is original. But the signature does not appear to my eye to be consistent with some original examples that I have seen.

I knew it had been polished but it’s hard to find a watch over 60 years that’s not been polished, so I was okay with that. I bought it from a reputable dealer who had it serviced by a former PP watchmaker. All parts were asserted as original, including the dial and hands. Could the dial have been changed out many years ago during a service by PP? Possibly. The font in person is really sharp and slightly raised, which is consistent with dials for the 2551. Finally, the dial appears consistent with the 2551’s I’ve seen on line, but admittedly I have never seen another in person.

It’s a beautiful watch and is keeping really good time. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

Like 1
Thanks. That's encouraging.

Here are a couple of examples. The differences are nuanced, but I would say identifiable.

PP7555.pngPP7554.png

Thanks, Tony. My camera isn’t capturing the details on the dial, but I’m looking at the dial and comparing it to the two images you posted and they are very similar in sharpness and the slightly raised text. I appreciate your insights.

Like 1
Good to know – thanks! And again, congratulations. It's a top-class watch.

Like 1
In my search I had contemplated other vintage PP watches and some more contemporary Calatravas, but the allure of the caliber 12-600AT was a major draw for me. There’s only so many of them ever made and I couldn’t pass on the opportunity to own one.
Edited:

Like 1
It would be my first choice of a PP automatic as well.

Like 1