Forums Latest Members
  1. Patb Oct 4, 2019

Good morning all,

I am a recent member of this forum and have found the content and input very interesting and helpful.

I am considering purchasing a Patek Philippe for my father who has always been a huge fan despite me trying to subtlety point him towards Omega (to no avail alas!). I am very much a novice when it comes to PP and would very much welcome comments as to the authenticity PP1.jpg PP1.jpg PP2.jpg PP3.jpg PP4.jpg PP5.jpg of the attached watch. Thank you very much for your help in this regard.

Many thanks,

Pat

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 4, 2019

Hi Pat,

Years ago I owned the same case reference, albeit with a different dial and hand variations (image below). The problem, as I see it, with the one that you are considering, is that the case may have been excessively polished. Those distinctive lugs are particularly sensitive to polishing, as it is very easy for their original lines to be lost.

Now, I say "may" because it is possible that there were slightly different lug variations on this model, and the ones that you show may fall into that category. But even if that is the case, they appear to have lost their original lines, and that, for me, would be a deal breaker.

Cheers,

Tony

[​IMG]

3. Patb Oct 4, 2019

Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your reply which is very helpful.

Kind regards,

Pat

billving and Tony C. like this.
  4. oinkitt Oct 4, 2019

Yes, as Tony says, the case has been "well" polished!!

billving likes this.
  5. Patb Oct 4, 2019

Thank you. Kind regards, Pat

6. MarktheTime Oct 4, 2019

Pat - just sent you a private message.
    Anyone else surprised to see what looks like a 1970s Sigma dial (the symbols on either side of "Swiss" at the bottom of the dial) on a watch from 1944 according to the extract...? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me? @billving @Tony C.

Deafboy likes this.
  7. MarktheTime Oct 4, 2019

Mine, 1949 pink gold, for reference...

IMG_2777.jpeg
    billving and NT931 like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 4, 2019

Good catch. I was immediately focussed on the case, and didn't look closely at the dial. So...best case a PP replacement.

Also, nice example, yours! Shows what a very well-preserved case should look like, and what a difference it makes.

MarktheTime likes this.
  9. MarktheTime Oct 4, 2019

Thanks. I think we'd both agree that @Patb should be VERY careful with the example he's considering, regardless of price. Dial and extract simply don't come close to matching - and I also have concerns about the inside of the case back - engravings look too "contemporary" compared to what's inside mine, for what that's worth. Simply put, too many issues to be wary of, aside from the polished lugs.

billving and MikiJ like this.
  10. Patb Oct 4, 2019

Thank you all for your very helpful input. It has been invaluable.

Beautiful watch @ MarktheTime.

Kind regards,

Pat

MarktheTime likes this.
  11. t_swiss_t Oct 4, 2019

Agreed. Does the old P,P&Co signature on the movement mean that they should have the same "long" signature on the dial? Would be interested to know if that's the case or not. It'd make sense but I haven't dealt with the <1950's much.

12. MarktheTime Oct 4, 2019

No, mine has short signature on the dial and long signature on movement and case.

13. lpestre Oct 4, 2019

I do agree with tony as well ! Believe me, those kinds of watches are for true collector, and they won't buy a piece like that.