Forums Latest Members
  1. Vine May 21, 2022

mark.png
  2. rkman11 May 21, 2022

Hi, I am not a Patek expert at all, just a lover and appreciator of the brand, but to me the watch looks beautiful. Case appears to be in very good shape. And I think you’re absolutely right, that is very likely moisture damage from some point over the years. I wouldn’t look to restore that in anyway, not even sure that would be possible without causing further damage. I think it’s part of the watch’s story, and you should wear it and enjoy it! It’s a beauty!
    And that movement!!! Pure art.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 21, 2022

Looks like moisture damage, as suggested above. The good news is that the movement appears not to have been affected, but there may have been a bad crystal, or seal, leading to moisture gaining access to the dial.

One other point. I can't be certain based on your photos, but those lugs appear to my eye to have been polished at some point.

TheGreekPhysique likes this.
  4. Evitzee May 21, 2022

Watches in this era had very little moisture protection so it's not unusual to see some damage on dials. Just leave it.

5. Vine May 21, 2022

Thank you. Yes, I'm completely new to Patek and this is the first in my collection. I just loved the very pure and simple design, and seeing the movement was a bit of a wow moment for me :)

6. Vine May 21, 2022

Ah ok, thanks that's interesting to know. Do you think that whatever allowed the moisture to gain access would have been replaced on a previous service, or should I be extra cautious or have someone look at it? The watch was fully serviced last month and some of the movement photos were taken at the time.

7. Vine May 21, 2022

Ok, thanks for your reassuring words.

8. Vine May 21, 2022

Since this watch is the first higher value vintage watch in my collection (nearest to this is my trusty Seamaster 176.007), I'd really like to make sure I do things right in terms of caring for it. Would you recommend that I exercise any particular caution when storing and wearing this watch? It looks to be very solidly built.

In terms of price/investment (I intend to keep this long term, and wear only for smart dress occasions), would you consider the price I paid for it after negotiation (7,300 EUR / 7,710 USD) to be fair given it's originality, albeit the slight dial damage? It was listed on Chrono24 for 9,000 EUR / 9,500 USD and looked to have many people looking at it.

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 21, 2022

Assuming that it was serviced by a competent watchmaker, the crystal and seals should be doing their jobs correctly. As suggested by another poster, this model was not designed to be waterproof, so the environment might have played a role in the damage. You should try to avoid using it extensively, or storing it, in high-humidity environments, and obviously also avoid rain, etc.

10. Vine May 21, 2022

Right, yes that makes sense as the previous/original owner also lives in Venice where I bought it, which has high humidity. Great, I'll make sure to keep it dry and out of the rain. Thanks for the advice!

Tony C. likes this.
  11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 21, 2022

One other note: while very simple, the dial is of very high quality, and its originality is clear from the signature, which was created with a "champlevé” enamel process. The letters are slightly raised in a unique manner, as you may be able to discern from this detail from one of your images. Another example, from a V&C that I once owned, is below it.

tsrst.png

VC33.jpg

12. Vine May 21, 2022

Fascinating! I really love that attention to detail. It's hard to pick out in the photographs but yes up close I can see the raised letters quite clearly.

What model is that V&C? Looks beautiful.

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 21, 2022

No model name, and I'm not even sure if it had a reference number. It was sold many years ago.

14. Vine May 21, 2022

Ok. It's a nice dial. Again, very simple and understated in style.

Out of interest, are there any particularly good books, videos or sites that you'd recommend for learning more about the Calatrava, and specifically the 3420? And Patek in general.

15. rkman11 May 21, 2022

I enjoy reading Collectability, and really anything that John Reardon does, including videos and interviews. Very knowledgeable and interesting Patek collector.

16. Vine May 22, 2022

Brilliant, thanks. Yes, I came across a few of his videos on YouTube when researching. Just looking at his website. Looks like a fantastic resource.

rkman11 likes this.
  17. Vine May 28, 2022

For people who come across this thread interested in the 3420, here are a few details shared by others:

- Made between in 1959-1983: 1st series (1958-1960, cal 12 AM 400), 2nd series (1960+, cal 27 AM)
    - Produced in yellow, pink and white gold (also a rare platinum version, circa. 1965)
    - Cases by Eggly (indicated by the key mark number 23 on the case back)
    - Dials by Stern Frères (silvered metal, opaline satin finish, engraved enamel signature)
    - Approx. 1,200 in total were made, mostly in yellow gold

If anyone else has any more information to share that'd be great.

Fedoclock and Tony C. like this.
  18. rkman11 May 28, 2022

Great info! I would also add, based on the movement serial number and other extracts I’ve seen, I think it would date to 1959 or 1960. Of course can’t confirm without an extract from Patek.

It’s a beauty!

19. Vine May 31, 2022

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Yes, it'll be good to learn the exact date from the extract.