Forums Latest Members
  1. JohnLy Mar 25, 2016

Thought I would share a picture of one of my favorite Patek watches. It is ref. 5050 in white gold perpetual retrograde. They began in 1990 and stopped in 1995 so there were not many made.
    Patek discovered a problem with the retrograde date on some of the first years models. The date hand would get stuck between 8th-10th of the month work fine until it got t0 18th-24th of the month and then spring back to the 8th-10th.
    Patek stopped shipments for a short period of time until they came up with a fix which they did and resumed shipping in the 2nd year and they worked reliably after that. Unfortunately they got a bad reputation and were not selling well. For this reason this is why I assume they did not have a long run. Ironically once collectors learned that they were reliable and there were not many made they became sought after.
    Patek then found 100 movements and made a small run from that batch plus they have made several with applied Breguet numerals.
    The one I have is quite different in that the dial has changed to a light pink in color as you can see from the pictures below. I haven't seen another like it, quite unusual. If someone knows of another with a dial color change please contact me I would like to hear about it.

1 1019 003.JPG 1 1019 004.JPG back.jpg
    littlesheep81 and ELV web like this.
  2. KstateSkier Mar 25, 2016

Did you know forum members can't see photos you post unless you have an avatar? Its a scientific fact.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. JohnLy Mar 25, 2016

seriously, I did not know that

OMGRLX and KstateSkier like this.
  4. KstateSkier Mar 25, 2016

Ahhhh there they are! Glorious :cool::rolleyes:::psy::

oddboy likes this.
  5. cimo Mar 25, 2016

Beautiful watch! Silly question I'm sure, what color did the dial start out as? Interesting to me it has faded since "only" the 90s. Still gorgeous though!

6. JohnLy Mar 25, 2016

Dial was originally silver. I have attached a picture of one.

dial1 5050wg copy.jpg
  7. cimo Mar 25, 2016

I see. Thank you. I like yours much better. Thanks for sharing!