Forums Latest Members

Parts needed for 1927 cal.10.40

1. DManzaluni Jan 16, 2020

Does anyone have or know where I can get a setting lever and (extended tube) seconds hand for a late 20s Longines cal.10.40 please? It is a kinda huge, rectangular white gold 1927 watch with rather beautiful art deco numerals and I would like to get it working properly.

20200116_150430.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 16, 2020

Best recommendation would be to get another non-working watch with the same movement and hope it doesn't have the same issues.

Very difficult to get parts for a movement that hasn't been made in over 80 years.
    gatorcpa

Syrte likes this.
  3. DManzaluni Jan 21, 2020

Sorry to say this, and PLEASE dont take this the wrong way, but after I had made a genuine attempt to find someone with that movement who may have the part(s), and was asking for help, that kind of comment says more about the person saying it than it does about the problem at hand

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 21, 2020

You may call me Captain Obvious if you wish.

upload_2020-1-21_20-13-13.jpeg

I’m simply stating a fact that I have learned in 17 years of collecting. You did not state in your original post where you had looked previously or even if you had looked at usual parts suppliers. You’d be surprised how many people don’t bother to look before asking.

Sorry that I did not see the effort that you put in before posting.
    gatorcpa

DirtyDozen12 and JimInOz like this.
  5. Radiumpassion Jan 22, 2020

According to Longines parts catalog the 10.40 uses same parts as the 9.40
    Maybe this can help you to widen your search? I imagine the second hand
    will be no problem to find. I probably have one in one of my drawers:)

AD5DB0BC-94BE-4C55-BA4E-C794DF5368CB.jpeg

Disclaimer: Please ignore this post if it was old news to OP

DManzaluni likes this.
  6. DManzaluni Jan 22, 2020

Took you 17 years to learn those two points? One blindingly obvious, the other blindingly obvious and at the same time, completely irrelevant?

And said as if you weren't aware that the watch is 80 years old and are imparting some hugely important nugget of wisdom. When in reality all you are saying is that you dont know where to look for such an item and can't offer any suggestions!

7. DManzaluni Jan 22, 2020

No, it was really helpful, though I did know it already from an earlier problem I had had with this same calibre. Thank you for your intervention.

Now I know the number of the movement retaining screw which i also need, which I assume is 64 (vis de cadran). I suspect the seconds hand came off because the dial retaining screw has been replaced with one that is slightly too short. Whoever had done it had also put glue on the movement to hold the dial for slightly longer. It was all soft and gooey!

Edited Jan 22, 2020
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 22, 2020

I give you what I have. If I am not “advanced” enough for you, that’s your problem.

We have people of all skill levels on this forum. An explanation of the steps you took before posting would have been helpful also.

in any case, I wish you luck in your search.
    gatorcpa

9. DManzaluni Jan 22, 2020

Thanks

20200122_094404.jpg

For future reference, when you need a part, go out and buy the part. Occasionally it may be worthwhile asking around* to see if anyone has a spare movement.

*see bottom of page

10. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jan 22, 2020

Spoken as if OP is owed a response that’s to his liking let alone any response at all.

DirtyDozen12 and gatorcpa like this.
  11. DManzaluni Jan 22, 2020

How did you extract that from my statement about blindingly obvious points?? After someone had carefully cited the blindingly obvious to me along with the completely irrelevant? Hadn't you noticed that NO ONE on these boards hangs out here to see the blindingly obvious or the completely irrelevant?

There ARE forums for "my watch stopped, what should I do?" "did you try a new battery?" but my impression is that this isnt one of them and no one here likes their time wasted with that sort of endlessly bumped question.