Forums Latest Members

Parody of a watch sales ad

1. NT931 May 11, 2018

Besides verbosity in watch sales ads, which I've been equal parts amused/annoyed with, the other thing that gets my goat is the overly precious descriptions, and tendency to label everything as a grail, and to wax poetic.

Damn it's annoying.

So I thought, what the heck, let's do a parody. So here goes: (tongue firmly in cheek)

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-11 at 7.38.36 PM.jpg

Respect

It’s a word that we don’t often use in watch collecting, but it applies not just once, or twice , but three times when we gaze upon the visage of this grail watch.

Vintage Tissots in this condition are hard to find, especially such a well-preserved state. We lucked out in this one, securing this for a high but fair price, but in the belief that the mantra ‘condition, condition, condition’ applies, justifying the price.

First, the case deserves respect. The chromed case, a hallmark of such 1940’s watches, is a respectable and thoroughly modern 38mm in size, giving it considerable wrist presence.

Secondly, the dial and the hands have such charm. The dial has a warm even patina, and the golden hands contrast perfectly against the patina. There was such harmony in design even then - notice how the teardrop at the end of the central seconds is recapitulated in the teardrops at 3,6 and 9. Undoubtedly, similar teardrops of joy will sparkle on the face of any owner of this august watch. Surely such consistency in the language of design deserves respect.

Finally, we pay respect to the previous owner of this watch. When we bought this from his widow, she showed us old pictures to affirm the provenance of this watch. Now that he has passed on, we have decided to show our respect by selecting a handmade ash-grey strap from a strap artisan in Italy that provides some contrast. Why ash-grey? The former owner was cremated at his wishes, and our colour choice reflects his current state. It is also a reminder of the impermanence of life; that our ownership of watches is temporary, and we are merely stewards of their existence.

It is hard to price such a unique, well-preserved treasure, but we feel a price of $3000 is appropriate. Part of the sale price goes towards Alzheimers’ research as his widow would have wanted. Regardless of price, this superb specimen of a vintage Tissot is a reflection of a kinder age where respect was the order of the day, and where this was a gentleman’s watch.

< any resemblance to any online watch ads is purely coincidental. Honestly >

rbob99, alam, Hnansen and 40 others like this.
  2. Gurn May 11, 2018

Pulitzer Prize worthy ;)

3. aap May 11, 2018

What would the color be had he not been cremated?! :thumbsdown:

STANDY, khmt2, Longbow and 4 others like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 11, 2018

I've honestly never read a Hondinkee sales advert, but this one sounds like it is one...

Also, if that's you watch, it's very nice!

5. CPRwatch May 11, 2018

If you don't already compose watch sales ads as a paid occupation ,your talent is being sadly wasted . I think you covered every base point in the watch ad world with this one , The teardrops of joy line had me sold .

There was such harmony in design even then - notice how the teardrop at the end of the central seconds is recapitulated in the teardrops at 3,6 and 9. Undoubtedly, similar teardrops of joy will sparkle on the face of any owner of this august watch.

6. Kmart May 11, 2018

Spot on. [​IMG]

7. NT931 May 11, 2018

Heh thanks Al! ;) Yes it is indeed my watch, and yes, it's 38mm chromed. I do rather like it!

He would be quite senior, and yes, I actually have a taupe strap for the Tissot too... "to match his skin colour as he sits illuminated by the evening sun, recalling his youth" :D

Hnansen, Jensonslog, Vitezi and 5 others like this.
  8. Rman May 11, 2018

With all due respect the previous owner would surely turn in his grave like the deftly “turned” lugs on this case if he had known what a reasonable price his respected timepiece was proffered for.

Fantastic watch:thumbsup:

aap, khmt2 and NT931 like this.
  9. NT931 May 11, 2018

Thanks! BTW to avoid any misunderstandings from forum members, no widow was involved and this was bought off ebay :D

10. MikeMan2727 May 11, 2018

Sold. Where do I send my hard-earned money???

:D

Jensonslog and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  11. bgrisso May 11, 2018

What about the movement?

12. rcs914 May 11, 2018

This line:

"Why ash-grey? The former owner was cremated at his wishes, and our colour choice reflects his current state."

made me snort and laugh out loud to the point where I'm glad I work from home, as it would certainly have been disturbing to my co-workers if I did not.

13. dialstatic May 11, 2018

Is it weird that I want it now?

14. shishy www.hpmor.com May 13, 2018

The picture alone should have sufficed in this case...

15. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 13, 2018

No. I clicked the link in the original post hoping to find a sales ad.

DIBS.

16. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 13, 2018

redial

17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 13, 2018

quartz redial

18. NT931 May 13, 2018

Oops, does this mean it's squirrel bait now? ;):D

khmt2 likes this.
  19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 13, 2018

offer it up to @ulackfocus he just loves this kind of stuff.

20. ulackfocus May 13, 2018

Oh yeah, we all know how much I love hyperbole in watch listings. :p

Nigel / @NT931 - that Tissot is a NFW. :thumbsup:

alam, Fritz and NT931 like this.