Forums Latest Members

ParcelPro, International Shipments & Tax ID/EIN Numbers

1. bristnj Jan 19, 2018

I recently opened an account with ParcelPro based on the positive feedback that I had read here, as well as a recent transaction where the buyer sent me a shipping label which included insurance as part of our deal. All cool.

I decided to open an account as I am considering a purchase from a friend overseas, and wanted to make sure the piece carried reliable insurance while in transit. ParcelPro only uses FedEx for international, but before you can use, you must apply for a Tax ID/EIN number?

This is what they sent me:

All who currently report an SSN while filing in the AES must provide an Employer Identification Number (EIN). All U.S. authorized agents who currently report a SSN when filing in the AES must provide an EIN or Dun and Bradstreet Number (DUNS) for identification purposes.

An EIN is available to both businesses and individuals and can be obtained by registering with the Internal Revenue Service at
    http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=102767,00.html or by calling (800) 829-4933 and following the instructions. A DUNS number is available only to business entities and can be obtained by registering with Dun and Bradstreet at www.dnb.com/us.

The rule is effective March 24th, 2010. However, the provision eliminating the SSN was implemented December 3, 2009. The rule can be found in its entirely at
    http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/regulations/fedregnotices/index.htmlor www.gpoaccess.gov/fr .

What are your thoughts here. I have no issue claiming actual purchased value and paying any Customs due. I had already intended that based on wanting to cover the piece for its value. I am not sure I am crazy about having to have a EIN number for one shipment and having imported values reported to gov't!?

I welcome any input from experienced ParcelPro users who may use the service for international shipments into the US. Thanks! Jeff

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 19, 2018

If you were running a business as a proprietor, you would be required to obtain a FEIN for transactions your business made with the US government (for example, payroll taxes for employees). The point here is that ParcelPro is set up to be used by businesses, not personal accounts.

There are lot of good reasons why you should use your SSN only for dealings with IRS and the Social Security Administration. Our government has recognized this and is moving away from using SSN's for any other purpose.

It is actually for your protection against identity theft.
    gatorcpa

bristnj likes this.
  3. bristnj Jan 19, 2018

Any reason for concern having an EIN for a watch purchase? Sounds like the import value gets reported to IRS? Again, I am not trying to avoid customs, which I assume I will pay prior to delivery, but why the reporting of such via the EIN?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 19, 2018

It may, I really don't know. If it is, that would be done by FedEx, not ParcelPro. They are just an insurance company.

I would tend to think of the FEIN as more of a way to match the sender and the package, but I would not put anything past the US government.

The fact is that I would rather have a fictional FEIN, tied to nothing, jetting around the world and exposed to anyone in any country to read, than my personal SSN. FEIN's are not generally kept confidential and can be easily deactivated.

Try that with your SSN after someone starts messing with your identity.
    gatorcpa

bristnj likes this.
  5. abrod520 Jan 19, 2018

Call ParcelPro's customer service line, and explain your situation to them, they'll be happy to help. You only need your SSN for personal accounts.

bristnj and Archer like this.
  6. bristnj Jan 19, 2018

@gatorcpa - I appreciate the feedback, and agree about the FEIN vs. SSN. I was more curious about the possible ramifications or tax implications if asset values were reported to IRS. Seems low.

@abrod520 - Thanks. I was on the phone with them when they sent the message, but that was CS. I'll double check with their sales group. I don't have an issue with getting an EIN, was more curious about what's and why's as to the need for one.

7. Rman Jan 19, 2018

He speaks the trute

abrod520 and bristnj like this.
  8. bristnj Jan 19, 2018

I spoke to ParcelPro sales. They indicated the same as CS. You now have to apply for and get an EIN # before you can purchase international shipping & insurance.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 19, 2018

Its fast and easy.. Just do it..

bristnj likes this.
  10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 19, 2018

Import duty is due regardless of what number you use...for that matter they charge the import duty on your Fedex invoice. So giving your EIN number wont change anything in this regard.

There is no way to avoid import duties. You can reduce the duty by following the instructions found in another thread (which is simply using the correct import codes).

11. bristnj Jan 19, 2018

@CajunTiger Thanks. Was not worried so much about the duty as if somehow there may be other tax implications later. That seems unlikely based on research. Appreciate the feedback!

CajunTiger likes this.
  12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 19, 2018

Let me know if you need the instructions on how to properly classify a watch for import into US

13. aluxtrader Jan 21, 2018

You may get bill from your state for sales tax you have to pay from imports if you do not have vendor license. Bill may come 1-2 years later. Be aware

14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 21, 2018

I would say that there is no chance that PP would share the insurance information with the IRS, the only exception being if there were a warrant for a particular account. So any duties will be based on the stated value, and when importing into the U.S., they are typically very low.

bristnj likes this.