Forums Latest Members

Paralysis By Analysis: First Vintage Omega Purchase

1. jayelblock Sep 8, 2018

First of all, I’m new to your forum, so thanks to all who take the time to read and respond. I’m attempting to buy my first Omega, and the more I study, the less confident I become that I can tell an original from a redial.

But a little context first. I’m old enough that much of my aesthetic was formed in the 70’s. My first car was a Pontiac Firebird (but sadly not a Trans Am with a screaming hood chicken). Consequently, the Omega I’ve picked out for my first purchase is one I actually saw cited as a low point in design—the 70’s Constellation with the heavy stainless case and integrated bracelet. I particularly like the square “TV” dial, although the round seems more common.

1 Omega Constellation dial.jpg
    (pic from http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2011/01/omega-constellation-3680852-good-buy.html)

However, after looking at dozens of watches, I seem to find inconsistencies in every dial, and now I think I’m just paranoid about getting a redial. I’m making myself crazy with all these questions. For instance, on the dial above (an example from an authoritative site), why aren't there minute markers? And on the dial below, why isn’t there a T if there’s lume at the indices?

3 Omega.jpg

Even when I look at this watch, which I KNOW is 100% authentic because this company has impeccable credentials, I think, “Why is the “Swiss Made” obscured at the bottom of the dial?”

Help! I’m making myself crazy over what is likely to be an $800 purchase. I haven't found much discussion about this particular watch within these posts, so if anyone can point me in the right direction so I can do more study on my own, I would greatly appreciate it.

murph likes this.
  2. wsfarrell Sep 9, 2018

These all look good to me. The vast majority of redials are done on printed (inked) dials, where the dial is taken to bare metal and then reprinted. With brushed metallic dials like these, it would be extremely difficult to replace the text only while leaving the brushed finish in perfect condition. As to other variations---lume, indices, T's, etc.---I think they're just.........variations.

felsby likes this.
  3. Vitezi Sep 9, 2018

From a 1972 catalog:
    [​IMG]

From a 1974 catalog:
    [​IMG]

From a 1970 catalog:
    [​IMG]

4. jayelblock Sep 9, 2018

Vitezi,
    Thanks a million. Those catalog pages are incredibly helpful. And that car...the doors sagged, it was a ditch magnet on the ice, and I even had a small electrical fire. But the seats were amazing. It was like laying back in your favorite recliner with your legs stretched out in front of you.

Vitezi and murph like this.