Forums Latest Members
  1. aesguerra Apr 19, 2015

It goes without saying that it's BETTER that you have papers. Nothing's better than having the piece of mind knowing that your Speedy is an actual Speedy. But what if it's the EXACT WATCH that you want???

Of all the moonwalkers, Gene Cernan is tied for first place in my book (right up there with Alan Bean). I love the passion that the man has when conveying his experiences on his travels to the moon, and he just seems like a rather down to earth man overall. I recall that video when he took on Bart Sibrel's challenge to swear on a Bible that he's been to the moon. He had a, "What the heck do I have to hide? Bring it!!!" attitude during it all, which is how I see that I would've reacted to the guy. "Sure thing! Hand on Bible... swear I've been there... on video. What else do you got?"

That said, a Speedy "Last Man On The Moon" just came to my attention, and it looks like it's in great shape. It comes with the outer/inner box, manual, card SLEEVE, but no cards.

Thoughts?

Thanks In Advance,

Alex

2. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2015

If you want the watch, who really friggin' cares about papers? I mean, you can't wear the papers, so are you gonna carry them in your pocket and show people?

Yes, it's nice to have the whole package and that's worth something at purchase or sale time, but the watch is what drives any WIS.

SpikiSpikester and aesguerra like this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 19, 2015

Some members have commented that original papers and/or boxes are expected for newer watches......post 2000 perhaps and limited editions. Prior to that, not as important. Of course, with all the blank docs floating around, it's hard to be sure if the docs are real.

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 19, 2015

I purchased my Gemini IV without box. I almost did not make the purchase due to no box. The price was discounted to reflect the lack of box, yet this was still a struggle for me. I got over not having the box really quick.... I do have the original receipt when this was purchased back in 2006. Sometimes I carry it in my back pocket and pull it out to show people.

Quick pic, and I also have the original bracelet.

upload_2015-4-19_17-2-0.png

Buckeyes#1 and aesguerra like this.
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 19, 2015

I have the Gemini4 with box and papers but the Apollo 11 35th (both from 2005 I believe) without.

6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 19, 2015

No box + No papers = No purchase for me...

Thats just me

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 19, 2015

Depends on age for me. The older ya go, the less likely it is that box and papers will be available. Anything modern should have 'em, but depends on the watch (and probably my mood)

..now where exactly the cut off between modern and vintage is, that's harder to pin down.

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 19, 2015

You are more likely to find "better brand" vintage watches with a full setup, ie Patek, AP, Vacheron, Bregeut, JLC. These watches were always "expensive", have had fewer owners and are more likely to be available as complete sets.

9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 19, 2015

Yes i agree... I was meaning for the newer pieces....

10. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2015

Smart aleck. ::bleh::

Taddyangle likes this.
  11. devnull Apr 19, 2015

If I'm buying a watch for regular wear and there are two identical watches, one with papers, one without, the cheaper one wins.

If I'm doing catch and release (nice expensive watch that I plan on owning for a bit before reselling) I know that the papers enhance liquidity, but then again it depends on how much that liquidity is costing me and whether I can expect to recoup it on its entirety.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 19, 2015

If its to wear and its an LE, even something like a Gemini IV or an Apollo 11 35th no papers is not a problem for me, its more of a bonus.

13. maxtor71 Apr 20, 2015

If it's a LE, no box and papers means no deal. I have a display case that I rotate my LE watches through (in their boxes) so yeah, I want the whole set. If it's a regular watch, perhaps I'd consider but I haven't yet bought anything without B&P.

Max

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2015

Two near Cyclones this year Watches packed and ready to run. Boxes and papers left to fend for themselves.

15. aesguerra Apr 20, 2015

Thanks all for your insights. ☺️ I'm buying with the notion, "it's a keeper," but do I even know what I don't know? Lol! How will I feel later down the road when 2022 rolls around n they release the Apollo XVII 50th Anniversary , right?

16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 20, 2015

@aesguerra Welome to the message board.

How will you feel later down the road.... you will feel like you need to buy more really cool Omega watches. You can never own too many Speedmasters.

Before joining I had none. Then bought my first, and seems that I am buying (averaging) an Omega watch every 67.8 posts.

Wombat123 likes this.
  17. aesguerra Apr 20, 2015

That's what I'm afraid of. :p

18. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2015

@maxtor71 / Max, what's your oldest watch?

19. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 20, 2015

Box and papers? That's crazy

IMG_0675.JPG
    Wombat123 and lenny like this.
  20. ikeo1 Apr 20, 2015

If no cards, then have it serviced by Omega Customer Service. You will at least get a card and a 2 year warranty that certifies its authentic and backed by Omega. That being said, papers is way better and the older the papers the more awesome!