Forums Latest Members

Panda Tri-Compax at Knightsbridge

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 21, 2015

2. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jun 21, 2015

Excluding premium.
    I think total Premium/tax is 21.6%

3. E-diddy Jun 21, 2015

@Mods is correct. Excludes premium. Online bidder won.
    Every sale is subject to buyer’s premium of 18% + VAT (21.6 % inclusive) on the hammer price.
    Bidding online has an additional 3.6% premium.
    VAT can be excluded or refunded on items shipped to outside of the EC. But then potential duties apply.

nicolas07 likes this.
  4. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 21, 2015

Yeah, that's in the range of what I expected it to go for then. About $11,500 when you factor in the premium.

5. heypacha Jun 21, 2015

I was watching the auction and almost bid on the tri-compax. It was an internet bidder that got the watch.
    Two days before the auction I was prepared to go even 20% more than the wining bid, thankfully common sense returned on the day of the auction. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful and rare watch, and will double it's value in two years.

image.jpg
  6. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jun 21, 2015

If the price is going to double in 2 years, wouldn't common sense dictate that paying 20% more now would be a great investment?

chunkythebulldog, heypacha and bazamu like this.
  7. timjohn Jun 21, 2015

They had a terrible night -- a vast number of lots were passed in. I was going to go for the Lemania flyback but lost my nerve: hammered down at £1,400. Picked up a Zenith tho :)

heypacha likes this.
  8. Dre Jun 22, 2015

Nice example! The auction house have some quite interesting example from time to time IMO.

That being said, I'm not the biggest fan of Watches of Knightsbridge, my first watch that I won from there described as excellent working condition etc etc. Worked just fine when I receive them and wind it once so I just left it, long story short after I bought new strap etc, the watch broke just when I was about to worn it for the first time. Tried to wind it and nothing happen.

9. E-diddy Jun 22, 2015

I find it interesting to follow WOK auctions. Sometimes they have good stuff. However, I tend not to bid since I'm based in the U.S. The exchange rate kills me (on top of the typical hammer fee, online bidding fee & duties).

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 22, 2015

They do seem to set unrealistically high reserves across the board.

11. nicolas07 Jun 22, 2015

Some nice and rare watches... I was following some nice Breitlings but prices including premium went to high high... :(

12. heypacha Jun 22, 2015

You're absolutely right, from an investment standpoint it was not the best long term decision you could make. I bet there are a couple of collectors in the 80's who said the same thing after dismissing the panda 6239 with that stupid font as just another Daytona.
    By the way, that Art Deco font is really ugly.

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 23, 2015

I had a good look at this watch last Friday and all I will say is that there are some issues with the chronograph - especially the re-setting parts.

14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 23, 2015

Hm, that's a shame considering the lot description didn't mention anything to that effect. Honestly, I've never had much of a desire to compete in these auctions, but that just adds more fuel to my logic fire.

15. E-diddy Jun 23, 2015

yeah, i have interest in these auctions but can never go the the viewings. such a shame they did not mention it in the condition report. definitely makes me wary.