Forums Latest Members
  1. Traveler May 14, 2015

Guys, quick heads up - I got this Email this morning from 'pay pal' telling me my account was blocked and providing a link to log on and unblock it...
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Turns out it's from a hacker ( I now know that anything from pay pal is addressed personally to your first and last name)...the clue that this was bogus was right on the first line...

Stupidly in my half asleep state I 'logged on' and entered all my personal info...

All sorted out with pay pal now, but just be aware, these scum bags are out there ....

If you get anything weird supposedly from pay pal, forward it to [email protected] to help them combat this.

Edited by a mod May 14, 2015
  2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 14, 2015

I hope you don't use the same password for your PayPal as you do for the email account you log on with (or for anything else, frankly) because even if you've changed your PayPal details the phisher (sorry to be pedantic but there's no hacking going on here) can still use your password for your email.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 14, 2015

These are so common it's not funny...I probably get 5 of these a week between PayPal and eBay accounts...and yes phishing not hacking...

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 14, 2015

I am always amazed by the abysmal English employed in these otherwise clever phishing schemes. I know these aren't native English speakers, but come on, can't they afford to hire a competent proofreader? Are phishing profit margins that tight? "Your account has been limited" is an unusual turn of phrase, but then we have "helps ensure that PayPal continue to be safer way to buy online" and "assosiated." These scams are like redials... there is always a "tell."

persco and citizenrich like this.
  5. chickenman26 May 14, 2015

Any time I get a message from Pay Pal or Ebay, I answer ir directly from my online account, and never by email. If the message was bogus, it won't be in the online account.

Stu

6. Geo! May 14, 2015

I have had a few of these and reported them. Anything like that I totally ignore and put it directly in the bin.

7. Gaz6263 May 14, 2015

To right. Any messages like these, from banks,phone companies.paypal etc all go straight into the trash.