Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve88M3 Aug 23, 2016

I was curious about whether the first impressions would convince me to go ahead and have my 69ST restored through Omega. The chap working, who was very friendly and very polite, estimated six months. I expected this. However, the pricing was not in line with what Omega indicates on their website for SG based restorations. Is this typical?

Part of me wants to get the watch into as-new condition and, as I never plan to sell it, am not bothered about having a full going over done in Bienne. Assuming the price differential is something to be expected, I would be happy to go ahead with having Omega do the restoration.

Anyone have similar experiences?

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 23, 2016

Send a watch to Omega
    image.gif

Euxinus likes this.
  3. ac106 Aug 23, 2016

I would say that if you want a Speedmaster in "like new" condition, then buy a "like new" 3570. You can sell your 69 and a nice chunk left over. That way everyone wins, you get a minty watch and a collector can appreciate the original 69.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 23, 2016

[​IMG]

gemini4 likes this.
  5. Steve88M3 Aug 23, 2016

Is this why your post count is so high?
    I did. I have several. This one is a labour of love.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 23, 2016

I have a wonderful economy with words.

7. Steve88M3 Aug 23, 2016

Shame you don't have a wonderful economy with posts.

Anyway, back on topic - strictly curious if differential between AD price and website price is normal. Not too bothered about anything else. Just trying to get some feedback on others' experience.

marco likes this.
  8. Kja Aug 23, 2016

Since sending a '69 speedy to omega will destroy your watch, you might not get much comments on that discrepancy, we don't really talk about service price differences because they will destroy your watch.

red crowned, ac106, marco and 2 others like this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 23, 2016

what price were you expecting? what price were you quoted?

10. Steve88M3 Aug 23, 2016

Fair enough. Thanks for the insight!

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 23, 2016

Sorry, but just no. Omega will not take a big hammer to your watch and send you back a bag of bits. What they will do is service and restore the watch to their standards and give you a warranty on the work done. For most collectors who value authenticity of original parts and the look/patina that some watches build up as they age, this approach is anathema.

To others, and they may be the minority, it is not. Be aware that to have Omega work on your watch will impact on its value to a collector should you decide to sell in future, however, the watch is yours and what you decide to do with it is your choice.

From my point of view, I'd rather a watch was restored and worn with pleasure than having it sitting in a drawer because the owner does not want to use it.

12. Kja Aug 23, 2016

I believe that taking almost all the value out of something would be a good definition of destroying something, if ferrari reveted in a big plastic body kit to a classic ferrari, you would be destroying the car, even if it is now more aerodynamic in there eyes.

overlinjw likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 23, 2016

Many horror stories by members here on sending watches to Omega, from wrong work on case finish, dial and hands changed and several parts changed because its policy worn or not.

A independent watchmaker with a Omega parts account will be more sympathetic to your watch and its value ;)

red crowned and Steve88M3 like this.
  14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Aug 23, 2016

No need to get chippy, @Steve88M3...if you've hung around the vintage forum for a while, you should have a decent idea that the thought of sending a vintage Speedy to Bienne for servicing, especially a transitional one, is abhorred. Not sure why you'd expect a different reaction.

Agree that if you want a new one, just buy a lightly used 3570.50 and sell the -69 to someone that values it for its imperfections.

red crowned and Steve88M3 like this.
  15. Steve88M3 Aug 23, 2016

Not chippy at all - was just looking for some specific insight. No designs to ever sell and if BMW offered me an option to factory restore my M3, I'd take them up on it.

In the meantime, I had asked the AD if the work could be carried out without polish or replacing specific parts, but that didn't seem relevant to my question for the forum.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2016

What they promise and what they do can be very different - if you plan to ignore everyone here who is giving you sound advice that's your prerogative of course...

17. Steve88M3 Aug 23, 2016

Sigh.

All I wanted to know was about pricing. I get the other bits. Like I said, I was keen to avoid polishing, etc.

I love the passion but the dogma is laughable....!

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2016

Then why don't you answer the questions asked that were on topic?

You can call it dogma if you like...but people are giving you advice based on experiences, not dogma. If you are "keen to avoid polishing" and "replacing specific parts" you would be wise to heed the advice being given. If you want to be the stubborn one and send your watch to Omega, then don't be surprised if you get work done to it and parts replaced that you were not "keen" to have done...

red crowned, Hijak and bazamu like this.
  19. Steve88M3 Aug 23, 2016

The only question that was posed was what I was quotoed (1450) vs what I expected (850)...missed that. Thanks for pointing out.

I haven't seen any evidence of experience, just some chatter - though Standy's post was useful - No one seems to be willing or able to give any link or personal anecdotes...

Anyway, I am done with this thread. The opinions of the internet have turned out to be way too serious for me.

Edited Aug 23, 2016
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 23, 2016