Forums Latest Members
  1. TimeODanaos Jan 30, 2022

Just the past 24-48 hours, I've been getting "Error code: RESULT_CODE_HUNG" most of the time from my Windows 10 PC, running Chrome. I have cleared cache and cookies and all. There's no problem on my Android phone. My only theory (full disclosure - you're asking Fred Flintstone to fly the F35 here) is maybe some kind of ad blocker has snuck in? If it's a wider problem, I'll gratefully let the higher powers take it from here, thanks!

2. aggie Jan 30, 2022

Try Firefox... if you can! No VPN? No DNS problem?

3. TimeODanaos Jan 30, 2022

Yikes! Sounds drastic. Thanks for advice - I'll report back on what's happened in 24h... ::confused2::

4. marcn Enough space to say witty Jan 30, 2022

When did you last reboot? Try a reboot and see what happens.

5. TimeODanaos Jan 30, 2022

Thanks, Marc - that sounds good to me, and I'll try that in the morning. Firefox is taking care of business right now - Aggie lost me at the VPN / DNS stage, but, hey! I'm grateful all round. :thumbsup:

marcn likes this.
  6. aggie Jan 31, 2022

If you dont use a VPN, then you cant have a VPN issue of course. DNS issues are easy to solve but you need to know a bit about them and usually problems come when you use a VPN... (which is a very safe thing to use for suffing on the internet. I recommend everyone to inform themselves about them and use one. Some are free but it is better to pay for one. Not very expensive). Reboot a computer is always the first thing to do. And , check your computer with an antivirus program, just in case...

7. TimeODanaos Jan 31, 2022

Well now... I have re-booted, disabled ad blockers and pop-up blockers, and re-re-booted for luck. But in Chrome, the problem persists. I don't really have a wider need for a VPN, so with grateful thanks I have adopted @aggie 's excellent other suggestion. As this is a mainly desk day, I am writing this from my laptop, happily using Firefox, no dramas! :thumbsup:
    I humbly offer this whole experience to the mods, in case it indicates any system-wide problem I wouldn't understand; maybe they might want to address it, but that would be in ways I don't even have vocabulary for. (If not, I hope @dsio and colleagues will ignore, with no hard feelings either way.) Thanks again for your time, guys.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2022

I really don’t understand what could cause it, we’ve not had any reports from anyone else, I have a windows 10 machine running basic chrome and its fine, is chrome fully updated along with Win10?

9. TimeODanaos Jan 31, 2022

Thanks for looking, appreciated. I think both apps are fully updated. I did wonder whether my last Chrome update had somehow re-set my ad/pop-up blockers to stop OF loading correctly, and I still wonder whether that might be some sort of issue. When I get the "Page Unresponsive" banner and hover the mouse, I do fleetingly see a few messages like "Waiting for Heystrangeadco.com to load". I am wondering whether I have somehow choked my computer and it's just out of the sort of memory it needs to handle all this. Other programs on this machine are running OK, but I wouldn't be too surprised or all hurt to be told this is a local hardware problem!
    PS I do realise it's the middle of the night in Australia, so please don't think I'm in any rush about this, or that I even expect answers at all. You're doing great, so thanks.

10. Longbow Jan 31, 2022

I’ve been getting a lot like this on my iPhone lately
    C884B8EC-3209-478B-9069-7E9F4C00B0D4.jpeg

11. aggie Jan 31, 2022

Firefox is the safest AND not a Google product! I liked Chrome before Google bought it. But as I ban Google for everything and everywhere.... bye bye Chrome.!

12. Evitzee Jan 31, 2022

Me too, I try to avoid using any Google product if at all possible, but some products are unavoidable, like YouTube. Chrome, no way.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  13. aggie Feb 1, 2022

Yes...its a pity, but sometimes you have to accept some of their products.. I use the "NoScript" Firefox extension. You have to manage it, but when you see ALL the trackers... awful! But it requires a bit of comprehension of what IS really necessary and what is not..

14. aggie Feb 1, 2022

...and on the phone Ghostery plus DuckDuckGo. Perfect!