Forums Latest Members
  1. mpl27 Oct 16, 2016

IMG_2983.JPG IMG_2984.JPG Hi,

After some advice, I've juts purchased 1976 watch from an online jewellers and it has some oxidisation the hands. Would this be normal and expected.

I've paid £875 and have a 14 day refund options and would welcome some opinions.

Cheers

Mark

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2016

I think you can get a better example for less, imho.

3. mpl27 Oct 16, 2016

Thanks for the opinions, appreciate it, I'm struggling to find a 1976 model as a 40th birthday present for myself..

chronos likes this.
  4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 16, 2016

Depends on the terms of the 14 day refund option. If the condition is not as described, then possibly. If it's simply buyers remorse then less likely. With all due respect to @efauser "I think you can get a better example for less, imho." will not generally be grounds for a refund.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2016

It's not easy because the dating, based on the movement, can be off by a year or two. Unless it comes with an extract, it's only a guess.

6. mpl27 Oct 16, 2016

Hi, the seller has been fine and advised a refund is ok if I'm not happy, I suppose I'm wondering how much the oxidised hands will bother me and if it's normal? (Ish)

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2016

I wasn't giving any opinion based on the return policy. I was stating my opinion that he can get an as good or better example for less.

8. mpl27 Oct 16, 2016

Any pointers as to where to find a decent model ?

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2016

I would keep an eye on the Private watch sale forum and the Sales forum. Also, set up a search for a 1976 watch on Watch Recon.

10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 16, 2016

In my limited experience, some degree of oxidation/wear and tear and general signs of ageing are to be expected in a watch that's around 40 years old. Some collectors value this as patina.

Then again, only you can decide whether this is what you want to see on your wrist.

wsfarrell likes this.
  11. mpl27 Oct 16, 2016

Whats your view on the cost, ?

12. mpl27 Oct 16, 2016

Thanks for your help'!

13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 16, 2016

I don't have enough experience to comment and thus would defer to others. If you want to get a general idea, try searching Ebay for sold Omega Geneves (or other styles) that take your fancy. Beware though, there are a lot of redials/refurbished watches that will not pass muster with collectors. However, if you are not as concerned about originality, it may give you some idea.

It's always a good idea to factor in the cost of a service when buying second hand, unless you can get some sort of proof that a proper service has been carried out prior to purchase.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2016

It's not unusual for these shiny hands to have some damage to them after being removed and installed time after time for servicing the watch, as they get handling marks on them.

Not sure I see any real oxidation, but the photos are smaller, so I can't zoom in much to see the details. Just looks like normal wear and tear to me.

Cheers, Al

15. mpl27 Oct 17, 2016

Hi Al, can I ask your opinion on the price ? Thanks for the advice re the hands, I'll try and get a better pic

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2016

Sorry not my area of expertise...

Cheers, Al

17. mpl27 Oct 17, 2016

Is that a better pic to look at the hands, sorry to be a pain, I'm stressing being hasty !

IMG_2998.JPG

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2016

Yes, much better photo. Hands are a bit rough, and maybe could e improved with some careful cleaning. Worse case scenario is a new set of hands, which are not expensive, but would not match the patina of the lume on the dial well - not that the current hands match that well to begin with. New hands with new lume could have the lume tinted to match closer certainly...