Forums Latest Members

Own a vintage Omega 14390-61-CSP---Does not say Swiss made. Fake?

1. Tossleboy Sep 25, 2016

As the title says, I bought this not long ago off a seller locally, and he said everything was genuine except the crown. However, I have only found one other picture of this linen dial model on google images, and it says Swiss Made on the bottom of the dial whereas mine does not. The python strap version is the photo online that says Swiss Made, and the other pictures are my watch. Help would be appreciated.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. François Pépin Sep 26, 2016

Hard to tell from your pics. Try to take closer ones, and without the hands hidding the S of "Seamaster".

But at that point my guess is it is genuine - the lack of "Swuiss mase" is not necessary a sign of a redial.

3. omegastar Sep 26, 2016

On the second picture, there is a swiss made at 6 o'clock !

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 26, 2016

Apologies to OP for thread drift I'm unfortunately not knowledgeable enough to opine on your dial, but am interested in what @François Pépin is saying as I also have a 1960s Omega which doesn't say "Swiss made" and had concluded that for that time period it had to mean it is a redial. I'd be really happy if there were a good reason to believe otherwise.

I'm mostly familiar with Longines watches from the 1930s-1940s. It is clear that during that period many original watches have no "Swiss made" or "Swiss" mark on the dial and correct me if I'm wrong but I think it could also be true to a certain extent for Omega. However, in the 1950s the "swiss made" mark appears on almost all watches -- even though as I understand it, it only becomes mandatory by swiss law in 1971.

So what's the deal with the "Swiss made" mark?

Edited Sep 26, 2016
  5. François Pépin Sep 26, 2016

It is another watch the OP gave as an exemple.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 26, 2016

Okay, I still would love more info on original dials that do not have "swiss made" on them.
    @gatorcpa @cicindela @ulackfocus @kyle L curious about your thoughts on this...
    Best regards,
    S

7. François Pépin Sep 26, 2016

Hello,

I could give you later some more precise info - unless other poeple did before.

For the moment, I can say that not every old (genuine) dial had the "Swiss made" logo (or "Fab. suisse" for French cased watches). During the 40' (and sometimes in the 50's), it was not unusual to see dials without this logo. After that period, I would be very suspicions about a dial without the SM (or Swiss) - but you never know with Omega! Today "Swiss" garanties you you have a Swiss made watches - which actually means at least 50% of the production costs occured in Switzerland...

I am currently wearing an exemple (sorry for the bad picture) of a genuine dial without the SM (from the 1950's):

image.jpg

And before the 40', many Omega watches did not have the SM (think of pocket watches for instance). I like pocket watches as well as old Omegas with calibers like the 26,5, and a lot do not have the SM.

At that time, the SM was sometimes required by the importer country (such as the US), and not only a logo promoted by Switzerland and the Swiss watches producers cartel (which existed from 1934). It is only from 1972 that "Swiss made" clearly indicates a marketing promotion with the garanty of a production zone.I guess Omega used the SM more than other brands before this date, but not alway.

Tossleboy likes this.
  8. chadpowe11 Sep 26, 2016

I think if the crystal was removed you would see Swiss made. The tension ring from crystal is almost touching the dial markers. The example that is used as a shows more room between the tension ring and dial markers.

Cheers
    Chad

Tossleboy likes this.
  9. Tossleboy Sep 27, 2016

So the crystal is unoriginal? I need a replacement crystal anyway, as mine is cracked. Also a genuine crown. I found this site, and the case 14390 has a steel crown available--which I believe is the crown in the example I posted above. However, the site owner keeps saying they don't have a gold crown and hasn't replied back to me saying I believe the stainless steel would work. http://www.ofrei.com/page_147.html