Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Jun 2, 2017

Horologically speaking, what watches have you handled or owned over the years, that were a joy and a total surprise; whereas which ones had high expectations or hype, and were mostly underwhelming?

For me:

image.jpeg

Overrated: the Patek 3919. I know, a classic, right? How could one go wrong? I didn't love the hobnail bezel in person, and I found the smallish crown tactilely ungratifying to wind. The watch wears small on even an average wrist, and looks grandfatherly on everyone but...your grandfather.

image.jpeg
    Underrated: the Vacheron ref. 6694. Unique design, the lugs gently curve downward making it extremely comfortable to wear, and a killer 1072 movement. I can even tolerate the date window on this one. Not that it matters, but almost everyone thinks it's cool when you show them. I never seem to tire of this one.

What's yours?

Vitezi, Omega1, noelekal and 4 others like this.
  2. WatchVaultNYC Jun 2, 2017

I'll second you on the underrated

[​IMG]

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 2, 2017

I was once allowed to open up and pass a loop over a mint Patek Philippe Gondolo pocket watch movement from the early part of the last century and found it did nothing for me. While the quality of the movement was undeniable, it wasn't as nicely finished as a Hamilton 922 or a model 92 Waltham Vanguard, which are worth about one tenth of what that Patek was worth. It was a really big disappointment.

M'Bob and Mad Dog like this.
  4. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2017

HI

I would pass on the PP and I also Love the VC....

With regards to pockets.... Hard to beat a American Railroad Pocket from the turn of the last Century.... Super build quality and it was ALL BUSINESS !!!

Everyone should get at lest one...

Good Hunting

Bill

Jwit, ahartfie, UncleBuck and 4 others like this.
  5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 2, 2017

And that is why I love having your voice on the forum!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 2, 2017

Hi @watchknut

at lest one person sees it that way....

I picked up a E Howard Series 11 Railroad Chronometer for 300$ !!!

Good Hunting

bill

boat2dan, Fritz and watchknut like this.
  7. Wryfox Jun 2, 2017

Bucherer certified chronometers. So underated. Not uncommon to find a solid 14k chronometer for under $500.

Just picked up a 60s era goldtone for $130 that was just perfect. Not a scratch. Ridiculous value vintage.

Vitezi and M'Bob like this.
  8. ras47 Jun 2, 2017

Basic Seiko divers are underrated in my opinion. They are workhorses that last decades. The new Grand Seiko line seems overrated to me. Too pricey for too little style, and the Seiko brand doesn't have the gravitas to justify a multi-thousand dollar price. GS seems like a transparent attempt to cash in on the luxury/high-end watch market.

Sculler22, M'Bob and watchknut like this.
  9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 3, 2017

I haven't taken fresh pictures yet, this is the sellers shot.... arrived yesterday, 1911 Hamilton 940 for $265... my watchmaker offered to buy it off me this morning.

Yankee railway technology... how can you go wrong?

CW367-1.jpg CW367-3.jpg

10. Humptymarsbar Jun 3, 2017

Too true. Vintage GS are classic but i wouldn't splash out on the new ones, like why have a power guide thingy on half of the dial?

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  11. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jun 4, 2017

Overrated. Ok I'm the only to say this.
    IMG_3190.JPG

Dero13, khmt2, NT931 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Wryfox Jun 4, 2017

I think all solid gold watches are overrated. Beautiful as they may be they don't warrant 3-4x the price . I get that it's to make exclusiveness but even if I had the money to burn, I couldn't do it.

blufinz52 likes this.
  13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2017

Um, solid gold watches are cheaper than steel ones, at least in the vintage world. They are very beautiful and they don't merit the 50% price cut from steel that they frequently get. They are underrated.

citizenrich, khmt2, Syrte and 5 others like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

Upper mid range 2-6k usd has some funky styling, the high ends are under rated and understated and worth the 8k plus they ask from a horological perspective.

Over rated to me are the metal bezel Daytonas hard to read wear small and coveted for unknown reasons to me.
    IMG_4588.JPG
    And that's a good picture.

As earlier stated in another thread the platinum bezel grey dial Yachtmaster is stunning and why I see more expensive bi color subs instead of it is beyond my comprehension.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 4, 2017

I am not sure this is generally true, other than for a very few select pieces. 1950s and 60s Omega dress watches are routinely worth 50-100% more in solid gold, many Rolexes also have a similar premium for solid gold over steel. There are perhaps a few sports models where the steel is preferable but in the main gold wins in value terms. Feel free to list examples where steel outshines gold. Gold plated often takes a pounding in value vs steel but solid gold still has a strong appeal for many.

Peemacgee likes this.
  16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2017

Universal Geneve chronographs, Zenith Primeros, virtually the entire Patek Phillipe lineup sells steel at a significant markup over comparable pieces in gold. For example, this is hovering around $20K...

Zenith El Primero A 386 b.JPG

...whereas this can be had for around 10K or less
    Zenith El Primero G 381 c.JPG

Edited Jun 4, 2017
  17. Wryfox Jun 4, 2017

Not in my world. I would swoop in on your watch market if they are half price.

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 4, 2017

That has been my action plan for the past few years.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 4, 2017

Well that may or may not be true but with respect Omega, Rolex and other mainstream pieces out number those two by a factor of, what 100x or even 1000x so I think my point stands, other than a few specific cases, particularly sports models, gold carries a premium.

Foo2rama likes this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

Let's leave Patek stainless out of this. When they make 2 stainless 20 Plat and a few hundred gold from a maker that almost never made high end complications in steal it tends to throw off valuation.

With the exception of rare models with ultra rare stainless versions, gold watches tend to trade at a premium.