Forums Latest Members
  1. Leigh Apr 8, 2012

Perhaps a word of warning but I thought I might have damaged my Seamaster automatic after it stopped working following a game on the Kinect, I think I will take it off next time because although it should be able to take rigorous movements it would be an expensive repair. Has anyone else noted anything similar?

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 8, 2012

I'm wearing a Seamaster Chronograph (from around '97, and the movement still hasn't been serviced) that's been treated worse than any other watch I've owned. I've smashed it in to all kinds of stuff when we were on our sailboat for a year. Countless times it would take a big impact, and I'd look down expecting to see a cracked crystal. This was never the case. The SMPC always dished out more damage to other items. It's also been exposed to some pretty harsh UV down here in the sunburnt country.

Playing an Xbox game shouldn't be enough to do anything to your watch. Perhaps there's an underlying cause? You may want to consider finding a decent local independent watchmaker to take a look. :)

3. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2012

Anybody wanna bet it's a caliber 2500? Stopping for no reason is one of it's traits.

4. Leigh Apr 9, 2012

Its a Seamaster pro chronometer 300m! witha blue face

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2012

How old is it, what year?

6. Steve Apr 9, 2012

Sounds unusual for that watch to stop, I had one for years as my beater, I'm a engineer so bangs, knocks, vibration and excess heat are common place. As Trev said these watches can take a beating !. So agree maybe a underlying cause. ??. maybe a visit to a good watchmaker is in order ?.

7. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2012

I could link you to hundreds of threads about the 2500 problem. Most of them were in PO's with some AT's mixed in but all were susceptable to stopping.

8. Steve Apr 9, 2012

That problem was pre-2005 models.
    There appears to be a lubrication issue with a very, very few POs--apparently sometimes too much lubrication was applied.

9. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2012

Steve - the issue lessened a bit but did not go away after 2005. Any incarnation of the 2500 - A, B, or C - could have problems. I haven't heard of many in the last year because most have been taken care of under warranty (which brings another point up about it happening in the future after the warranty wears out) and the big news is the new 8500 models.

10. Steve Apr 9, 2012

My PO is 2009.... with a 3 year warranty... damn, sounds like I better chop it in for a 8500 !!. :eek:
    Seriously its a great watch that keeps great time I've no plans yet to change it. I did read that most of the 2500's had problems while being kept on a winder ?.

11. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2012

Not all of them do it, and if you haven't had an issue in the first year or two you're past the worry zone.

12. Steve Apr 9, 2012

Agree the PO 8500cal is something special.

13. 124watchfan Apr 11, 2012

Dennis I think you are exaggerating a little here. I think m4tt challenged wus members to come up with 50 threads of stopped cal 2500s. I have seen no takers yet. The calibers 2500a and b were basically experimental calibers with short runs. The C version has been in continual use since early 2005. In my years of forum dwelling, the stoppage issue did not appear with the 05 and 06 years but started to manifest itself later concluded to be primarily caused by improper lubrication and newer oil technology. As of late the reports seem to have tapered off dramatically and stopped pieces that were serviced continue to perform well. In my own experience, my PO with 2500c was nearly spot on for 4 years and has slowed a little to about -1 per day. It was originally purchased October 2005 so I have no complaints. Recently it has been reported that the new 2500c has added the 3 tier coaxial escapement. Not sure if omega is replacing the 2 tier with a full service.

14. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2012

I didn't see Matt's challenge, probably because I was persona non grata by then. I certainly would have taken him up on it if I could have used other fora besides WUS. I do remember linking to a few dozen threads in a post on WUS to defend my position once, including a poll that showed 17% of PO owners had stopping issues.

* I will grant you that "hundreds" is an exaggeration, and I've also noticed that the number of complaints has dropped substantially.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2012

We had a similar fight on TRF over this on several occasions, at one point someone claimed that Planet Oceans were no good for diving (no kidding) he claimed that the pressure at 50M or something caused the movement to stop. Then half a dozen brand loyal Rolex owners chimed in that yes, that must be it, the Planet Ocean must have stopped due to pressure, with some idiot claiming the caseback must have deformed sufficiently to press on the movement enough to stop it.

Turns out a lubrication issue on a 2500 that had been sensationalised into a complete drama by one guy and a troop of submariner fans. They do sometimes fail, we've got Chris here (The GMT Master) who has personally dealt with the warranty side of it as a dealer, but really with Cal 2500D and Cal 8500 in the wild now, these problems are effectively gone.

16. Steve Apr 11, 2012

What is it with Rolex fans and Omega ?...I'd love one of each !.
    Or is that for a separate thread altogether ???...:whistling:

17. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2012

Fanboys of any brand, and I mean the blindly faithful ones, are hard to take seriously yet they manage to piss everyone off who isn't a fellow fanboy. I've seen some wild statements over the years. The worst groups are the ones who worship Rolex, the AP ROO, Hublot, Seiko, and yes - Omega.

If you're one who appreciates all watches it is perfectly fine to want both a Rolex and Omega. One of these days I'll end up with some Rolex pieces in my collection again, although this time they'll be vintage.

18. Leigh Apr 11, 2012

I think I probably got it around 1996 if not before, i guess i could check if I can find the box in the loft. The bezel fading started within 3 or 4 years

19. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2012

Have you ever had the internals cleaned & oiled? If not, that's the problem - but you may need parts now that it's been so long.

20. Steve Apr 11, 2012

Your right Dennis, I did witness that with the Hamilton/Omega over at WTF, although light hearted there where some serious comments. If a watch is nice and takes your eye why not buy it ?.... I draw a line with MB&F thou !!.